The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Panel repair - reasonable quote?

Homer

One of the sills has been dented in the cars past life and I've had a few quotes to get the damage area pulled out and painted.

Now these were from supposedly good bodyshops, but based on the pictures is £500-£550 a fair price for the work? I've had 3 quotes so far and all are in that range. It just seems a bit expensive... :(

Image352.jpg

Image351.jpg

I take it jet spotting is tacking on pins and slide hammering it out, if so thats what I was about to suggest.

you could pin pull that outer sill. that wont have damaged the inner sill section....it seems a little steep tbh..

im fixing on atm but we had to replace the whole sill section and jig it! na auto lost control and hit a tree! :(

As I have just said:d:p;)

Depends if it needs to go on a jig mate. or if al the inner sill if fooked too.

None of them mention a jig, just pulled out. One place (one that NUR motorsport use) did say that it would be difficult to get it back to the original shape due to the thickness of the metal there.

The inner sill is fine, the only damage is what can be seen in the pic, it's pushed in about 1/4 - 1/2 inch

It's not the sill mate it's air duct that will be the worry.

It's only the leading edge of the duct area that's pushed in, the mid and back of the air duct sheet metal are in the right place.

None of them mention a jig, just pulled out. One place (one that NUR motorsport use) did say that it would be difficult to get it back to the original shape due to the thickness of the metal there.

The inner sill is fine, the only damage is what can be seen in the pic, it's pushed in about 1/4 - 1/2 inch

It's only the leading edge of the duct area that's pushed in, the mid and back of the air duct sheet metal are in the right place.

I know what you are saying mate but 1/2 inch is a fook load. It can be done but you do not want mass amounts of filler. It also depends on how creased the metal is and whether or not it will pull back out.:)

Could be a bit heavy for a panel puller, could maybe tack weld a small plate to it and pull it with a clamp and heavy slide hammer. Once the worst is out then use panel puller. The quotes seem a wee bit steep.

Edit: Just notice the gap between the door and vent. The b pillar looks in slightly (just the outer skin). Would take a wee bit more work than originally thought.

Edited by L18msy (see edit history)

Do you think the £500 quote is more or less right then Dave? I was expecting it to be half that, but know bugger all about body work :D

£500 is a bit steep unless you getting it painted too. It all depends on what is involved, pictures don't really show enough, so without seeing it first hand its all guess work.

Do you think the £500 quote is more or less right then Dave? I was expecting it to be half that, but know bugger all about body work :D

you can get that job done for £100 but they wont pull the metal, expect lots of fibregalss and filler.

£400 is for the bee's knees job so its up to you dude what you want. £500 is a bit tooo much!

ALTERNATIVELY you can put some OEM sideskirts on and cover it up :D

Pulling the sill is easy enough, its the damage behind the end cover thats the hardest parts as thats quite a strong area and im not sure it would pull out that easily.

Its definetely not a filler job, who in their right mind would put filler on the end cover to bring it out flush with the door ?