The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Keep the Avro Vulcan XH558 flying

j_jza80

Seen here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=22661

Apparently the Vulcan To The Sky Trust need to raise £323,000 by the end of the month.

I know we're in a recession, and many may view this as a waste of money, but it's part of our heritage and would be a shame to see it grounded.

If you can make a donation, please see here:

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/donate

Awesome. Watched it take off from Bournemouth airport after it laid up there for a few days after the air show due to weather.

Shame, i doubt the anonymous benefactor that donated a 6-figure sum last year will do the same this year :(

That and they're trying to get another air frame available to swap it out basically when this airframe has hit it's flying mileage. There is one more air-worthy air-frame left in the country.

Also being told rumours that there may be a flight-worthy concorde for 2012...

Had a picnic on the wing of one of these when my Dad was based at Scampton. Not the best looking aircraft by a long shot but I always liked them.

And before the windup merchants start no it was not moving at the time *rolls eyes* Was our attempt at the cub scouts strangest place to have a picnic.

• 4 years later...

Just bumping this old thread, as I was lucky enough to witness XH558's practice display over Elvington a few minutes ago, and what a display it was. :cool:

This is the last year that XH558 will fly, so if you've never witnessed a Vulcan fly, make sure you get to an airshow this year!!!

A list of the displays she will be flying at:

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html

It's incredible that such a large jet can be so nimble, and so graceful.

I'm pretty sad knowing that after this year, I will never see one fly again. :( But I suppose we should be thankful that one has flown at all, it was a monumental task.

Already way over it.

Plus parts are getting too expensive to get hold of and manufacture.

Read the link in the thread. Such a shame. Appears it's not at a point at which it's unsafe to fly, but more that it has exceeded any recorded serviceable aircraft and the engineers are unwilling to certify it due to risk of the unknown.

A sad day for aviation.

They are also saying that they are finding it increasingly difficult to find the engineering skills as the current staff are having to be rescued from retirement. They have plans for a permanent home and it will do taxiing runs but no more flying for sure after this season. Lets hope there are not too many displays not lost to weather or service problems, she deserves a good send off

You say its a sad day, until it plummets into a school and your name is on the paperwork...

Chances are it will fly quite happily for another 50 years, but fatigue life etc is calculated quite precisely and when the limit is reached, thats it.

They are also saying that they are finding it increasingly difficult to find the engineering skills as the current staff are having to be rescued from retirement. They have plans for a permanent home and it will do taxiing runs but no more flying for sure after this season. Lets hope there are not too many displays not lost to weather or service problems, she deserves a good send off

I for one would love to dedicate my experience to the project, but they don't pay you, its a charity and they survive on volunteers, and volunteering don't pay the mortgage I'm afraid :(

RAF Scampton should the the base for the Red Arrows, BBMF and the Vulcan, one place for a tour de force of aviation, so to speak. The RAF should amalgamate the Vulcan and its not inconsiderable running costs into a historic flight, MOD and us tax payers pay the bill, job done.

I for one would love to dedicate my experience to the project, but they don't pay you, its a charity and they survive on volunteers, and volunteering don't pay the mortgage I'm afraid :(

RAF Scampton should the the base for the Red Arrows, BBMF and the Vulcan, one place for a tour de force of aviation, so to speak. The RAF should amalgamate the Vulcan and its not inconsiderable running costs into a historic flight, MOD and us tax payers pay the bill, job done.

With 0 spare engines left, airframe well over its known fatigue limits, dwindling parts stockpile and fewer people with Vulcan experience by the year, I just don't think that it is possible to keep her in the air. And it saddens me greatly to say that, as I have been lucky to enjoy the Vulcan many times over the last few years. :(

But adding a less complicated jet type to the RAF, like a Hunter, Canberra or Meteor would be more realistic and a great addition. I would really like to see a Harrier or a Lightning too, but those two are highly unlikely.

What's the latest with the Lancaster that had the little mishap by the way? Heard owt?

Yeah, the engine and the heat damaged engine bearer have been sent away for inspection and overhaul.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=237567&d=1432146892

No idea on when it will be back in the air, but the BBMF hope it will be this year. I hope so, because she's being grounded for an undisclosed period of time at the end of 2016 for a pretty major overhaul. From what I hear they're building a hangar at Duxford specially, so it must be an awful lot of work.