The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No Supra...yet!

mistertwo

Hello guys and girls,

My name is Josh, I live in Warwick and currently drive an MR2, I've just started looking for a nice Supra (I'm after a twin turbo model) and, knowing how long it takes me to do anything, will probably have one at the start of next year.

I'm just about to read the buyers guide, so I'm sure I'll have a few questions.

I'm just trying to get something straight in my mind, also, are there three types of engine on the Supra mk4? N/A, single and twin tubby? Looking through Autotrader et al certainly gives that impression.

Thanks,

Josh

Good plan getting on here early and researching what your after.

Is it an MR2 tubby you have or the N/A? We also like pics ;)

There are 2 types of standard mkiv supra N/A and Twin Turbo.

However there are heaps of variations as people modify them. Na-T, Na-TT, Big single, big twin etc etc

The two isn't a tubby I'm afraid - 1993 MK2 Rev2 import - it was my first Jap sports car so I thought I'd ease myself into driving them. It's not too bad, and the sound it makes once you get above 3000RPM is brilliant - even better because the engine is directly behind your ears.

I only have the one pic on my phone, I can post some more up at a later date if people want to see them.

mr2.jpg

Hey welcome along!

The other guys have already covered it a bit:

Stock engines are NA (~220bhp) and Twin Turbo (~325bhp).

You get the following combinations:

JDM NA Auto

JDM NA 5spd Manual

JDM NA 6spd Manual (a bit rarer, from 96-02 only)

JDM TT Auto

JDM TT 6spd Manual

UK TT Auto

UK TT 6spd Manual

The UK spec models production ended in 96.

They started making the VVTI engines in late 97.

You will hear/see the term prefacelift and facelift often. This refers to the 93-96 cars (prefacelift) and 96-02 cars (facelift). There are some differences (facelift cars have grey surrounded rear lights, black inserts on the headlights, sidelights in different position, side repeaters in different position, different seats, different dash dial layout amongst other things) between the two.

A little bit of time spent here will get you acquainted with Supra specific stuff very quickly!

When it comes to single turbos (and big twin turbos), they are a whole different kettle of fish. These setups have come from aftermarket tuning and can give HUGE power. Usually an expensive route to take though!

How much are you looking to spend?

Thanks for all the welcomes and the advice so far - really useful. Hopefully it won't take long for me to know the different models!

I don't really know what to spend - I don't want to pay a premium for someone else's work and would rather have a stock JDM TT. I really like ones in black and I remember seeing a white one that really was a head turner.

What would you say I'm looking at for something that matches this spec?

Also, I'm probably not the best informed when it comes to transmisson. I can't stand the idea of having an auto box on a sportscar - are the manuals more drivers cars?

Thanks for all the welcomes and the advice so far - really useful. Hopefully it won't take long for me to know the different models!

I don't really know what to spend - I don't want to pay a premium for someone else's work and would rather have a stock JDM TT. I really like ones in black and I remember seeing a white one that really was a head turner.

What would you say I'm looking at for something that matches this spec?

Also, I'm probably not the best informed when it comes to transmisson. I can't stand the idea of having an auto box on a sportscar - are the manuals more drivers cars?

I have just gone the other way and prefer it to be honest. At speed it makes you concentrate on your steering more. Mine is a Tiptronic so you can always over ride the auto box. I am not sure if I would like a "standard auto" as it's nice to play a bit.

I had a NA manual and although I loved it, the TT auto is a delight to drive and bloody quick....:blink:

Don't write off the auto though, drive a few and then make an informed decisions. I am still surprised I ditched the manual transmission but don't regret it at all....;)

H.

I think that's certainly a good idea - test driving a few. I can't see myself enjoying an auto at all - but a trip might be interesting to have a go with if I see one lurking around!

I really don't know what I should be looking to spend. I don't want to go over 10k whatever I end up buying, but with that said, I've seen some decent looking cars on Autotrader etc for between £3&5k. That leaves me with a bit of cash to buy mods etc.

NA's can be very loud if decatted with a straight through pipe....;)

Sounds interesting - I ask 'cos there's a VERY nice white N/A manual availible on this very website..!

How much of a job is it?

@KamaSupra - cheers mate! I'm starting to get the impression I won't be missing my two!

I'm also being forced the idea of a 300ZX - but I don't think they're as appealing as a Supra!

Dont do it mate i went to test drive a few 300zx after my second supra and was extremely dissapointed most the ones i came across where a load of rust buckets. Just do what i did supra auto bpu or better still buy my white triptronic vvti bpu+ ;)

Dont get me started I've had my Zed for 7 yrs now not one bit of rust on it looks great and drives great :p:p

The Supra does drive much smoother though but more fun in my Zed :D

Supra MUCH cheaper to maintain so no real contest but still love the Zed's :cool:

I think the Zeds are looking a bit tired now, and I know the sils on the tubbies are notorious for going. Still I'm keeping an open mind.

I've spoken to a few people about some Supras today in actual fact - I text a member off this very forum and I'm waiting for him to get back to me!