The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hks twin spark installation instructions/guide anyone?

wallis

At least 3 mappers have tried and failed to explain to me just why these things are a waste of money and a placebo, due to their design and installation. I have to take their word on this as they are all highly experienced and respected. Anyone here care to have a say in this? Can they actually do anything useful in increasing coil energy, and if so, how?

Yikes!

I was told I needed one as my plugs would get blown out running over 1.6bar boost? Also I have been told I need to close my plug gaps to 0.6 also?

Do I not need it then chris, the guy I bought my set up from had to get one fitted, he doesn't think I will be able to run it without one?

Input would be good guys, I'm not going to bother fitting it otherwise!

Jaime I'm going with the aem fic mate

cheers

I am the last person to ask, electrickery is far from my forte! The guys who discussed this were impressive in their condemnation though, and all talked of CD (capacitive discharge) systems being the only viable move for huge HP turbo engines or serious RPM's on multi cylinder engines. All serious race engines seem to use it so I didn't argue....

What I was asking is what is this thing supposed to do, and how does it really work or doesn't it?

Wether its needed or not its pointless fitting one unless the coil packs are in good condition and toy have new clips and plugs.

On my old AEM set up without the DLI we could not get over 1.8 bar, with the DLI we were at 2.5 bar and no miss fire.

Wether its needed or not its pointless fitting one unless the coil packs are in good condition and toy have new clips and plugs.

On my old AEM set up without the DLI we could not get over 1.8 bar, with the DLI we were at 2.5 bar and no miss fire.

Hey up john, cheers for that.

Well I have mint coil packs new clips and inners, and new plugs so I'm good there, I'm guessing twin sparks are for much bigger set ups than mine, I won't be getting close to even 1.7bar, so I'm guessing I won't bother then, but if it won't hurt I guess u could still fit it tonight, I've bought it so I should use it really..... Lol

cheers again for the feedback guys

Well I have mint coil packs new clips and inners, and new plugs so I'm good there, I'm guessing twin sparks are for much bigger set ups than mine, I won't be getting close to even 1.7bar, so I'm guessing I won't bother then, but if it won't hurt I guess u could still fit it tonight, I've bought it so I should use it really..... Lol

Mine was for the Stand alone AEM dude, give Matt a ring or Ryan either will tell you if its worth fitting or even needed with what you plan.

You need to find out if your setup is wasted spark or not, fitting one to a car thats not needed will kill your coil packs quick time, i made that mistake.

You need to find out if your setup is wasted spark or not, fitting one to a car thats not needed will kill your coil packs quick time, i made that mistake.

I don't think the FIC is wasted spark JP, the series 2 AEM standalone isn't wasted spark anymore.

FIC just alters the crank and cam timing signals back to the stock ecu to retard the timing so it will still run Coil on Plug with the FIC.

DLI's are only need with series 1 Aem's.. Using in setups which are not wasted spark will kill coil packs... so dont fit one

Ryan

FIC just alters the crank and cam timing signals back to the stock ecu to retard the timing so it will still run Coil on Plug with the FIC.

DLI's are only need with series 1 Aem's.. Using in setups which are not wasted spark will kill coil packs... so dont fit one

Ryan

So.... is it a no no to fit it if you are using an Emanage Blue or an Apexi Power FC?

Iv also been told i need one of these to run higher boost. Running the aem fic but not sure if its series 1 or 2. How do i tell? Im only looking to increase boost to 1.5 bar, is it really necessary to get the dli?? Dont wanna fork out a load of money for the sake of it !

U basically will not need a twin spark for any aem fic.

The stock ignition system is fine for the power/boost levels u can achieve with an fic or similar piggy back ecu.

Twin sparks are for some stand alone ecu's which run a waste spark system and bypass the stock ignition system.

These waste spark systems sometimes need amplifying as there weaker/irregular at higher revs etc and this is what there for, on big power set ups running over 1.8bar on stand alone ecu's.

I have spoke to loads of people about this in relation to my build in respect to the aem fic, im sure some one will say otherwise but this is the general rule from all my research.

The power levels and boost levels i am running which are hopefully going to be 500rwhp and a max of 1.7 bar of boost will not need a twin spark for example.

Hope this helps mate.

U basically will not need a twin spark for any aem fic.

The stock ignition system is fine for the power/boost levels u can achieve with an fic or similar piggy back ecu.

Twin sparks are for some stand alone ecu's which run a waste spark system and bypass the stock ignition system.

These waste spark systems sometimes need amplifying as there weaker/irregular at higher revs etc and this is what there for, on big power set ups running over 1.8bar on stand alone ecu's.

I have spoke to loads of people about this in relation to my build in respect to the aem fic, im sure some one will say otherwise but this is the general rule from all my research.

The power levels and boost levels i am running which are hopefully going to be 500rwhp and a max of 1.7 bar of boost will not need a twin spark for example.

Hope this helps mate.

Hmmmm.. Im still really confused on who to believe! Would there be aany consequences if i was to turn the boost up without one fitted just to see if there is any misfire? Is something gonna go pop??

:blink: