The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Back, after an Alfa misadventure

Schtuv

Well, given that I miss my old supra loads*, and my Alfa's been in the garage for 10 months of the 17 I've owned it, I bought the black na that Wes had for sale. The good news is that;

- I know what the red button does beside the auto gear selector

- I've used the 'search' function before

- I can type using reasonable sentences, punctuation, and spelling

And although it's an na, please be aware that I'm not a woman (no Hovis picture for you!), or making an alternative lifestyle choice ;-)

Loving the new car, and happy to be back in a Supra again :-)

*snow and ice related incident. I shouldn't have taken it out, or taken it out of manu mode. Important lesson learned, there.

Which Alfa did you have?

156 TS Lusso, 2001 model. I had loads of fun with it, including, but not limited to;

- Sticking rear caliper

- The 'lighbulb out' warning light in the rev counter shorting, causing the battery to drain (got through 3 rev counters)

- A crack in the manifold

- The radio wiring not being switched to the ignition (and draining the battery)

- A 'tempramental' immobiliser

- A holed radiator which very quickly lead to the headgasket going

- A cam pulley shearing off, and all the fun that causes

- Something up with the throttle that caused revs to climb from ~800 to ~6500 over a few minutes while in neutral

- Bulbs falling out of their holders

- A corrupted airbag ECU

All I can say about Alfas now is "Never again!".

Welcome back :)

Always wanted an Alfa, think at some point i'll pick up a cheap one with a years MOT, and have a year of fun/until it breaks :D

That would be a waste of 11 months MOT....:D

I very nearly went for a 159 Ti as my company car. 176 Bhp estate that really did look fantastic. Reliability was my main worry and went for the Audi A4 S line instead.

Glad I did, not been to Audi dealers in 6 months for anything...:)

H.

Welcome back :)

Always wanted an Alfa, think at some point i'll pick up a cheap one with a years MOT, and have a year of fun/until it breaks :D

Yeah, I thought it'd be fun, and a bit of a change. My friends appreciated it, at least, with rear seats that you can fit a whole person in.

I suspected I'd been sold a lemon, right up to the point that I was talking to my neighbour who was having similar issues with their much newer model ...

If the engine in mine can be [economically and eventually] repaired I'll have an Alfa going cheap, next year :D lol

Welcome back. I believe the Alfa phase is right or passage for many petrol heads. .

Yeah, that may have been part of my thinking. The important thing is that it's done, and out of my system now!

Hope you at least got to enjoy a few miles with her.

A few ... it had a habit of letting me down at critical moments, though (mainly due to a flat battery, due to the various reasons above). Like on the first date with my girlfriend, or just after we packed all her stuff in the car in London when she was moving in, or in the middle of an MoT test :rolleyes:

To be fair, I appreciate that car'll always have problems at some point - My last Supra had the crank pulley fail, for example (luckily at low speed) - but the Alfa problems were happening just a little too often!