The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help me get the horn :(

The-Plethora

Getting most bits sorted now pre MOT this week. The aftermarket steering wheel that came with the car has never been something I have liked and always wanted to go back to a standard wheel with cruise control and airbag which the car initially had or a comfier aftermarket one.

Anyway, in the short term it has to pass it's MOT and no horn = a bit fat fail. I have taken the centre cap off so far and can see no connections to anything.

I would take the rest of the allen bolts out and remove the wheel but some are in a little tight so ideally don't want to take them out until I have a new wheel to swap it with as one of them has rounded slightly.

Lifting the cowling I can see a red wire with a spade connector that fits into the horn switch button but couldnt see another after digging around.

How does the second wire connect (if there is one) does it simply connect to the wheel housing to close the connection?

The steering wheel is grounded to your chassis. The little metal clip at the right hand side of your switch touches the steering wheel and provides a ground for the switch. The wire is connected to one of the terminals. On one of the terminals, the horn will sound continuously after being inserted into the steering wheel, you want the wire on the other terminal.

You can test the wire and everything downstream by touching the metal contact against the metal part of the steering wheel.

Still battling with this one :( The red wire came loose so I had to remove the steering wheel and cowling to solder it back on.

Even with it back in place I am getting no sound with the horn button in place and the red spade wire connected to either connector.

I had someone else check this over and thy think possibly the steering wheel may be missing a bit as it all seems to sit on this plastic ring which obviously has no connectivity.

I have tried the horn directly only the horn and that works just fine.

The MOT is on Friday so this is an urgent one, if I dont have any luck sorting this then what is the best way of hard wiring this button to the battery and horn? (cable wise where do I wire it).

Cheers for the help

Starting to wish I bought a mini :(

edit: That white connector hanging down, is that what would have gone to the original wheels airbag?

I could use some help on this one, I have run out of ideas :(

I am certain there is a bit missing. I managed to get hold of a stock wheel today and I am very happy to be rid of the cheapest nastiest steering wheel that ever was but still no horn.

MOT is tomorrow and the car is going to fail on this :( I have even tried to cobble something together by wiring it straight to the battery but that wont work as the wires have to flex when you are turning the wheel (tried on the old skanky button wheel).

Assuming the centre spindle is the negative then the + from the battery has to get in there somehow but all I have is shown in the pics below, none of the bits off the skanky wheel are compatable with this one. I think at the very least it seems to be missing a circular metal disk with wire attatched to make the connection which can then hopefully be made when you turn the wheel.

Does anyone have any advice or know the bits it is missing? All I have managed to find is a PDF on the horn circuity but that doesnt really help me.

Really has brought my piss to a boil this one, I have spent hours and hours on the car fixing and replacing bits and hundreds of pounds and knowing it's going to fail on the horn when I have just got a stock wheel is very frustrating!

Thanks as always

Dave

Inside of the wheel, everything looks ok here.

I've just been out to take some pictures of mine. Compared to yours, you seem to be missing the slip ring which allows electrical connections to the rotating shaft. Here's some pictures of mine:

attachment.php?attachmentid=119540&stc=1&d=1288289492

attachment.php?attachmentid=119541&stc=1&d=1288289492

attachment.php?attachmentid=119542&stc=1&d=1288289492

attachment.php?attachmentid=119543&stc=1&d=1288289492

For what it's worth, I don't think there is any MOT requirement to have the horn button on the centre of the steering wheel. You should be able to have a button elsewhere (it may need to be labelled) to control the horn.

If you want to keep the button on the steering wheel for the test, you could just use a long piece of wire between the button and the harness to allow the steering wheel to move lock to lock as a temporary measure. I certainly would not recommend leaving it like that but it may suffice for the time it takes to get a slip ring.

HTH

Andy

IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

A switch that grounds the horn wire anywhere within reach is fine. Ideally one that you press and it springs back on its own, but not vital. My Skyline goes through its test with a squeezy bottle of water under the seat, on a hose to the washer jets as the washer pump, and the horn is on a toggle switch on the centre console. Both are totally legal. Some cars actually had the OE horn on a foot switch.

Cheers Andy thats above and beyond. I presume you have an aftermarket wheel?

Looking at this slip ring though I reckon I am missing more bits because I cannot see what it would connect with to pass the connection. The wire to connect your horn, is that the stock one and you have just switched it over?

Your second picture down also looks like it has a connector that I dont recognise Is there any logical reason someone would have removed this ring?

If it fails I can drive it till Sunday, maybe I will drop Keron a line and see if he can grab me a bunch of bits and hopefully I can sort it.

Andy if you have your wheel off at the moment can I drop you a nudge for a few more pics if thats cool to see how it fits together? would be a big help.

Fuse is cool Dave, do you think I just need to get that slip ring and the connector you show in your post? The ring presumably moved with the wheel.

Even if I can 'fashion' something before monday I am wondering what bit on the main static bit it connect to to ground the circuit.

The dogey coiling lots of wire method wasnt going to work :) first time I went round a right corner the wires snapped heh.

Got to say though I am loving the stock wheel, so much easier to drive with.

I presume you have an aftermarket wheel?

Yep it's aftermarket; it came with the car when I bought it.

Looking at this slip ring though I reckon I am missing more bits because I cannot see what it would connect with to pass the connection. The wire to connect your horn, is that the stock one and you have just switched it over?

Here is a picture from the EPC showing the bits in the area:

attachment.php?attachmentid=119548&stc=1&d=1288299878

The small black wire at the front of the slip ring seems to be stock, it certainly looks like the one that David2009 has. I'm not sure if it's a part of the wheel or included with the slip ring. I guess it doesn't really matter if you get the bits from a breaker.

The cable coming from the bottom (fixed part) of the slip ring is actually a part of the slip ring. There's a connector a couple of inches upstream that connects into one of the main harnesses. I suspect it mates with the white connector hanging down on your picture in post #4. Does that connector have a wire that's blue with a red stripe? I think that would be the horn wire.

Andy if you have your wheel off at the moment can I drop you a nudge for a few more pics if thats cool to see how it fits together? would be a big help.

I took it off just for the photos. Just let me know if you need any more, it only takes a couple of minutes to take the wheel and the cowling off.

slip.png

set off at 8am and back at 3, the bits are sat next to me ready to be fitted. I will have a go in a sec after this filthy bloke at the side of the road in a van style bacon roll gets finished :)

I got the whole assembly (indicators and such) so should be plug and play, had to get a non airbag one though as the connectors differ.

I will give you a parp if all works well.

Edited by The-Plethora (see edit history)