The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelifting headlights advice

Scutch0

Hey guys, I've seen the numerious threads on how to do it, I'm pretty confident I should be ok, but any other pointers? Things to watch out for? Also when the light goes in the oven, do I need to wrap it up in anything?

Also shall I use gloss black, Matt black or satin black?

Lol classic.

Do I put it on anything or straight on the rack? *awaits more cooking banter*

the guide that I've seen says 10 mins at 200 degrees, is that right or not? As that seems a bit hot and a bit too long for my liking!!

NO WAY. 100 degrees in a fan oven is enough.Slower is better, and dont do gloss black inserts-please:p

Yep as above...i covered mine in a towel though (only because the back of light was hitting the grill fan cover on the oven....probably would have melted the backing if i wasnt careful. Left it on around 160 for around 5-10 mins (putting the headlight in the oven when cold, i.e not pre-heating the oven)

Things to watch out for, just keep checking every so often, give about 5 mins and then take the light out, try pulling apart from the corners, you will probably need to reheat it again to get it apart fully....have some sort of knife/screwdriver to help you cut away the sealant and pry apart the backing from the lens. Its confusing at first, but once you start, its obvious what bit you need to pull apart.

As for colour, i would go for satin black...just enough shine.

Heres my thread with a few pictures of satin and gloss black inserts. Good luck :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=225461&highlight=gloss+black

Edited by SupraP-Z (see edit history)

Just make sure you let the heat really soak in to it, longer at a lower temperature is better and expect to put them in the oven more than once to make it easier.

All you are looking to do it melt the sealant, so once it is warm enough then the lights come apart without having to be the Hulk to prise them apart.

Wrap them in a big towel and place in the oven (mines not fan assisted) 150 for around 10 mins. make sure you remove the clips first as they get f'ing hot. have a large flat blade screwdriver ready to start prising them apart and start as close to the narrow corner as poss. After the lens starts to move away just use your hands (ware gardening gloves or the like)

HTH

Dave.