The mkiv Supra Owners Club

sliding round corners.. sort of

carl0s

I'm wondering if its just luck or if there is something logical about this.

I'm at the end of a road, waiting to turn right onto another road.. (quite a wide one).

I take the right turn but give it a bit on the loud pedal and the car squeals a bit and the rear slips out to the left a bit. Instinctively I lift off the gas and release the steering wheel and the car rights itself.

Is this bad.. have I just been lucky? A skilled person would pull the wheel back the correct way, but I'm not good enough to anticipate the slide so the closest I've come is to pull the wheel back *after* i'm sideway.. and it becomes a "lucky escape", but in this case (and others of this tame sort) I release the wheel momentarily (i'm already near enough facing the way I want to go.. it's just slid out a bit).

Originally posted by geoffvalenti

Get yourself booked in on a skid pan day.

I've got a vouchure for one of those skidpan days. A woman at work bought it for her husband but he wasn't interested, so she gave it to me!

Originally posted by carl0s

I take the right turn but give it a bit on the loud pedal and the car squeals a bit and the rear slips out to the left a bit. Instinctively I lift off the gas and release the steering wheel and the car rights itself.

let go of the wheel :eek: you should keep the throttle balanced and steer into it :devil:

Originally posted by Jake

I've got a vouchure for one of those skidpan days. A woman at work bought it for her husband but he wasn't interested, so she gave it to me!

I did mine at Thruxton, it was definitely good fun, could have done with longer driving time, but to be honest I could have spent the whole day sliding about without getting fed up :)

Don't let go of the wheel :eek: ! If you keep hold of it and keep looking up the road in the direction you want to go you'll probably find you instinctively countersteer. That plus a gentle lift off the throttle and you'll be sorted :) Don't take you foot right off the throttle though - if you do all the weight transfers to the front of the car as you slow down, which makes the back slide even more.

ahhh now I see the error of my ways. I daren't try anything out though.

with regard to lifting off throttle.. I don't think I lifted off it properly, just sort of half way, but it's hard to judge under acceleration in an auto what exactly your throttle position will give if you see what I mean.

ahhh now I see the error of my ways. I daren't try anything out though.

with regard to lifting off throttle.. I don't think I lifted off it properly, just sort of half way, but it's hard to judge under acceleration in an auto what exactly your throttle position will give if you see what I mean.

You MUST have an auto in manual mode to slide it safely about, otherwise lifting off causes it to change up a gear and put a shock loading into the rear drivetrain. That's why so many autos get written off. Book a track day at Oulton and I'll show you how to slide it properly.... :innocent: I LOVE melting other peoples tyres :sly:

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

You MUST have an auto in manual mode to slide it safely about, otherwise lifting off causes it to change up a gear and put a shock loading into the rear drivetrain. That's why so many autos get written off. Book a track day at Oulton and I'll show you how to slide it properly.... :innocent: I LOVE melting other peoples tyres :sly:

I'd love to! I would prefer somewhere where there's nothing to crash into though, like the "learn to drive your supe round corners" thread that's going on. Unfortunately that's over 5hrs drive from me.

ang suggestions Chris?

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

Ah, never thought about autos. I'd rather change into the wrong gear myself than let an autobox do it for me...;)

I'd love to! I would prefer somewhere where there's nothing to crash into though, like the "learn to drive your supe round corners" thread that's going on. Unfortunately that's over 5hrs drive from me.

ang suggestions Chris?

If you want to goon about and are likely to spin it, then an airfiled day is usually more tolerant of stoppages, if you want to slide about and NOT spin it then track days offer a more discerning audience ;)

Guest cptsideways

Believe it or not you did the right thing.

The steering geometry on most cars (nearly all should do!) will self correct to centre when travelling forwards. So long as you let go of the wheel at just before the point of your intended direction of travel the car will end up pointing the right way. This is assuming you have let/letting off the gas & are not on a severely cambered road.

I demonstrate this to drivers on our slalom days, much to their surprise. It works at just about any speed btw, (It can be done at 130mph plus on an empty runway)

What you should do is feather the wheel in your hands as it rotates round to add a little more control.

Where it often goes wrong is the many drivers will over correct & at the point of straightening up the opp lock is still on & what happens..................pendulum effect.

If someone can host a video file I have one here showing this technique.

Originally posted by cptsideways

Believe it or not you did the right thing.

You know what.. I was quietly hoping someone would say that from the start :-) Feathering the wheel is exactly what I did.. i just let my grip go.

cool. :)

can we see this video then?

Guest cptsideways

If I can transfer the video to someone that'd be great, ftp or whatever it's about 24meg.

Virgin Broadband have sneakily added a 3meg attatchment limit to emails which is now useless so don't go with them!.