The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo advice........really?

Bailey.

There a guy who is recommended on the honda forums in the states that is a turbo disign consultant! I remember chTting to him on the Honda tech forum and thought I would pm him just to see what advice he had for me on my choice/ eventual upgrade for the t88 I will be fitting over the winter, there is a couple of White lies I told but there u go, this guy is like the turbo guru on Honda tech and wondered what u thought of his comments, here's a copy of the pm's! What do u think of his advice?

Originally Posted by baileyjdm

Hey I remember talkin to u ref a turbo for my integra 12 months ago, b4 it was written off by a truck! Now I own a mkiv supra tt and am in the process of going to a single turbo, I remember you had so many recommendations and very good knowledge and choices of turbo, I have bought a low mile greddy t88 kit, but the t88 is so far from a modern day turbo! What have u got, looking to make 650-700 fwhp with cams with potential to go with a built bottom end and make unto 800fwhp!

Also this will be a street car so lag has to be considered hence moving on from the t88.

Look 4ward to hearing from u, regards

Andy

Hehe. You know you can make 800 on the stock block, right? It's not like a honda. Older toyotas are very stout.

The T88 From Greddy wasn't really 88mm. it was like 76 mm. Give me a day, let me get some ideas. Did you want T6 or T4 flanging? Budget? $1300$1500 , $1800

Anticipation ....................

You said about $1500, right?

We could go Borg-Warner S480 or a GT7140 Journal bearing.

Wouldn't both these turbos be very laggy? A common turbo that everyone in the uk is raving about is the billet 6765, surely something along these lines would be a more streetable turbo??

Regards

Andy

On a SUPRA? not really, no. you want 800whp. its not going to be "snappy" like the stock ones. A 6765 would be 800whp at its absolute maximum. And for god's sake if you use a ball-bearing version from PTE, it will be AIR COOLED, not water cooled.

You've got to be more specific of what you're trying to use with the car. We use 67mm here on supras for circuit racing. But we'd never use something that small for something like M5. You need to AIM me, because this is going to be a long decision to make.

BTW, we use S480 and S372 borg warners on a regular basis for even those doing about 700whp or so. Again. this is a difference of use. The more you tell me the purpose other than power, the better we can BOTH come to a conclusion.

800+ "responsive'..... will never happen.

Right for the minute my rev limit is 7500, so ideally want to be on full boost around 4500-4700! I'm using 264 hks cams, the car will be used mainly for street, ideally for the minute my target is 700whp with potential with more boost and higher rpm to make 800hp!

Regards, andy

I also have a GT76 Journal bearing that would be able to do that without a problem in about that range. That would be about $1400 or so. T4 divided in a .96A/R. (at the biggest for all out top end, .84A/R for more responsiveness) You really don't want to go any smaller.

The cool part is that I can put that in a T04S compressor cover and not the larger frame compressor cover that requires a v-band attachment.

T04S is recommended.

So, you have 2 Borg-Warner choices, and one Garrett choice. Let me know what you need.

THe SHodan

Tha

Edited by Bailey. (see edit history)

ideally for the minute my target is 700whp with potential with more boost and higher rpm to make 800hp!

This comment about 700whp is because in the us I think whp is more like fwhp in the uk!

6765 should do close to 800 uk bhp at high boost, mine was 730bhp at 1.8bar, we did turn the boost a lot higher later but never got a wheel spin free dyno run at high boost.

Mine (now Jamesy's) was dbb, i dont think there is much in it though, yanks love the journal turbos and rarely buy dbb.

If i wanted 800bhp i would go 7175 though, better to run a 7175 at a little lower boost than killing a 6765 to get 800bhp

Were steppin lag up a big step going to a 71 surely?!!! And for a stock block and head I can't go crazy with rpm, I suppose ideally I want max hp, with max power band! Dont we all hey!

Mine (now Jamesy's) was dbb, i dont think there is much in it though, yanks love the journal turbos and rarely buy dbb.

If i wanted 800bhp i would go 7175 though, better to run a 7175 at a little lower boost than killing a 6765 to get 800bhp

The GREAT thing about the Billet wheeled turbo's such as the Garrett GTX's and the PTE billets is that due to the nature and design of the billet wheel, they come to life above the range of non billet wheeled turbos of similar size. the 6765 can be run up to 2.5 bar + where its still inside its effiecency zone, problem is, you will need to be running E85 to make the most of that sort of boost. A lot of the 4 banger motors such as the 4g63's and Honda's have been running the 6765BB's at up to 3.2bar with no problems at all :)

unfortunately the non BB versions of PTE's billet units dont seem to like going into the 2bar terriory to much as there were some reported failure on them (supraforums)

The comp between yours and gaz1 with the t67 dbb is quite supriseing, nearly 500rpm more lag with the 264 cams!

That wont be just cams, completely different setups, mine always seems to spool well, i put that down to the syvecs boost control and Ryans mapping skills.