The mkiv Supra Owners Club

strange handling?

dr_jekyll

evning all.

bit of a strange one hear.

the last time i used my blue supe was the club trackday at llandow and the car was andling beautifully. felt balanced and planted.

now today is the first time iv taken the car out since then and it seems to have a developed a handling issue.

when going in a staight line , if you give a bit of pedal the car pulls one way,and if you lift it sort of kicks back the other? and secondly on tightish cornering the car feels like it has rear wheel steer for all those who have driven the preludes.

now iv gone through the obvious . there is zero play in either rear wheel , bushes are all solid . checked all the subframe bolts. , tyre pressures are fine . the geo was fully set up before the track day and as said that day it was superb. ill have the geo tested again on the weekend but anything obvious ive missed?

after i removed and replaced the bolt flange on my diff, dude mentiond something about backlash on the cogs that im clueless about could the nut torque being wrong cause this ?

all ideas much apriciated as ever.

craig

its sometimes hard to tell if bushes/suspension components are knackered until they are under full load. Bar is sometimes not enough to diagnose.

I had problem with knovking at the rear. No one could see anything wrong. Replaced shocks and springs aand all was fine, yet ones that came off also looked fine.

I've had exactly those simptons before when I was running a directional tread backwards ?

its on assyetric tyres , if i put directionals on backwards id shoot myself in the head.... twice :)

anyways,

today i have fitted new brake pads and new fluid.

been under the car with a bigger bar and im confident its not the wishbone bushes, they are real stiff and i have to go wild to get the slightest amount of play.

the only thing i have to hang onto is the rear right caliper piston was noticeably harder to push back then the other three. its not siezed solid , it dose move, but verry stiff?

next update

iv just pressed the rear caliper back so the are well off the disc and taken the car for a run and it still has the left twithch. the mot testers next door have also had a look at my suspension for exess play and they say its fine too??

im stumped. for now ill just have to put it down to my 7psi is obviously making 1000 lbft of torque and is twisting the chassis :)

pirelli p-zeros x4 285/35/18rear 245/40/18front, 32psifront with 30 psi rear. wear is perfect, no graing or tide marks on any edge.

i thaught it would be the reat tops but theyve only been on about 18 months .

those front pads are superb by the way. huge difference from the cheap ebc tat. thanks

Glad you like the pads. Wish I could help more with the ill handling. The only other thing that comes to mind is if the rear toe is correct, cumulatively, but offset from the vehicle centreline, causing a thrust vector. I wish I could draw and just send as an attachment easily, it's much easier to show than tell.

well i had the geo reset before llandow ... but i did take a big spin and bounce across the kerbs so its going for another check and set up when i get time . hopefully one of my wheels is a few degrees out and all will be sorted.

i actually think understand what your saying about the incorrect toe causing the direction change under load so fingers crossed :)