The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Click of Death? (Starter motor) w/ Vid

The-Plethora

Hey all

I seem to be taking a financial hammering this month with the MOT coming up. Seems to be the starter motor this time, the battery was bought new last weekend so I dont think that is the problem.

Can you have a quick look at the hastily recorded vid below and see if you reckon it is the infamous click that indicates a knackered starter?

If so I can probably order one today and hopefully get it fitted on the weekend, looks quite involved and I need to get some axel stands!

UCU1WKebfQE

Cheers again

Dave :)

The battery is 3 days old, when the car was sluggish to do anything on the weekend we tested the battery which was dead it was replaced and things seemed ok again.

I drove the car recently and tried to start it a few times and got this 'click' after about the 10th time it fired up ok thats why I am leaning towards the starter and reading about people saying the it gets harder and harder to start (damaged contacts) which seems like what I am experiencing.

can you check the battery to see voltage drop while you are turning the key? i had a brand new battery once that wouldnt even hold charge so i swapped it and that didnt work either. took it back for a second time and they checked a few batteries in front of me that were all new and faulty. its worth checking if possible so you dont spend cash you didnt need to

Have a look here: are these the symptoms you're getting? ->

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=70712&highlight=starter+motor

I've had a listen to your YouTube video, and and it sounds like it could be worn starter motor contacts. Starting up eventually is a classic sign of this.

Bear in mind that you rarely need to buy a whole new starter motor. The contacts are the bit that need replacing, and Toyota sells these separately.

Double-check that the battery connections are nice and tight. I use vaseline to ensure a good electrical contact.

I will give the car more of a going over this evening, it was just before work so didn't have much time.

So general thoughts are starter motor or starter motor contacts?

Stevie the behaviour is the same as your linked thread, the fans come on and everything else seems fine, radio works, plenty of power.

When it does actually start it starts fairly easily and catches just fine.

Either getting a new starter or a refurb kit still means getting under the car and getting my hands dirty, ah well.

Dumb quetion but UK and Jspect starters are identical right? Debating refurbing or just replacing something thats 15 years old anyway.

This happened to me last year and it turned out that it was just loose connections on the battery. All i had to do was tighten them up and it was fine again.

Was really embarrasing when it happened to me though as i was at the petrol station having just filled up. Popped the bonnet and gave the leads a quick jig and everything seemed fine. Tightened them both properly when i got home and had no problems since.

Hope this helps :)

Just read your previous post properly and read that you are getting power. Guess it cant really be the connections at the battery then.

Edited by adam1983 (see edit history)

This happened to me last year and it turned out that it was just loose connections on the battery. All i had to do was tighten them up and it was fine again.

Same as me. Except withy mine I posted a thread on here begging for help, bought a new alternator and then broke down outside a closed garage and had to wait for an AA man to come along and give me a jump start (and connect the cable to the battery properly)

Just waiting on a local place to quote for a new starter for a 93 - 96 model (So UK then).

Same for a Jspec right?

just buy the re-furb kit dude, i did this to mine, and works a treat. its just a pack with the copper contacts, easy job

This is the exact same problem i have at the moment, it starts up after about 10 tries, then all's fine, i replaced the battery with a new one just in case, but its exactly the same, its going in for a service on monday so ill order these parts and give them to the garage

SWEET JESUS!

What have I started! £19 for the kit and spent about an hour removing this chunk of metal off the car and now feel the need to topple old ladies and steal sweets from youngsters.

Its like some sort of rite of passage, never ever again am I removing this thing! :D

WHAT A BITCH!

Prepare for more dumb questions as I try to remove bolts and lose bits, time for a coffee, not even halfway through yet!

Well.... that took probably 5 hours in all!

I think it would be at least 10 times easier with access to a 4 post lift. But...she lives! fired up first time and had a couple of starts since, was it bit worried as its the law of the sod that when its all back together you get the same problem.

I will leave the vid up and add the part numbers incase anyone else happens accross it and finds it useful. I was a bit worried as I only got the single click rather than click click click on starting that people mentioned but it's deffinately done the trick.

Thanks SupraLoopy for the guide, it was a lot of help.

Right time to get rid of the oil and blood I seem to be covered in...