The mkiv Supra Owners Club

v160 gearbox mount part number please

dwayne

does anyone have the part number for this? i searched here with no luck, couldnt seem to find it on toyodiy either for some reason. i phoned toyota near me and asked them but they started by asking if it was round and then they said that sometimes the gearbox mount is called and engine mount so i cant really take anything they said seriously now :(

selector seal has been leaking all over it so the rubber is in real bad shape. the rubber in the centre part has gone really soft and sticky and a good amount of it looks to have dissolved completely. reason i started doing this is cos i get a clunking under the car when i lift off almost like the car is in the wrong gear at lower speeds (similar sound) and when i looked under i noticed it was knackered

i'm doing the seal at the moment and i'm hoping replacing the mount will stop the clunking cos if it doesnt its probably the flywheel that i didnt want to touch till i go single next year

Edited by dwayne (see edit history)

its not just 1 clunk though, it continues till i put my foot back down. its an identical feeling as trying do 10-15mph in top gear going uphill (what i call kangarooing it for some reason) but without the nasty wiplash. there is some really light jolting while this happens but its not uncomfortable like the engine is about to stall. its really hard to describe here though

this is what makes me lean towards the gearbox mount at the moment, to me it seems like the engine is unbalanced and when at low revs its enough to rock it back and forth making the noise

Edited by dwayne (see edit history)

Which is why I think it's the flywheel mate, the flywheels mass is supposed to iron out jolts between throttle transitions, the flywheel is like two seperate pieces on the supra, with a certain amount of play, when this play becomes excessive, my guess it you get the kangarooing jolt because it's no longer smoothing out the rotational energy from the flywheel, to the rest of the drivetrain.

Keep us updated mate, when you eventually find the cause, I'll do the same :D

will do mate and what you just said does make perfect sense. i had always been hoping it was just the mount but the fly seems like the prime suspect now

with any luck i'll know whether it was the mount by the end of the week (if i ever get the part number :) )

cheers

For the early v160 6 speed, dont worry about my sig. (I know the engine mounts changed on later supras, not sure about the gearbox mount. But i did make sure the parts guy looked up the v160).

INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, REAR NO.1 T12371-46110. About £73 + VAT.

• 2 weeks later...