The mkiv Supra Owners Club

caliper paint stripping

jackso11

I know there are several threads on this and hte common answer on how to get paint of painted calipers is wire brush , knife, wire wool, 240 wet and dry.

What I am wondering is has anyone tried paint stripper? I was thinking of taking the calipers off, covering in paint stripper and then in my head the paint comes off by just rinsing them. Is this right? I haven't used paint stripper in ofer 10 years and the last time was my first time so I can't remember how good it was.

also, best place to get caliper refurb kits?

Not sure on the paint stripper bit.... but IIRC i got my refurb kit from Mr T , not too expensive and came within 1 day of ordering it.

Think it was just over £100 for both sides but i needed a new piston and you probably will not need this.

good luck :)

Paint stripper will be fine if you apply it and remove it correctly. You would need to fully strip them as the stripper will kill all the seals. Once the paint is off you will need to make 100% sure that the stripper is removed.

Your method for the most common way seems very complicated to me. I went with sand blasting, 5min a caliper and the job was done.

Paint stripper will be fine if you apply it and remove it correctly. You would need to fully strip them as the stripper will kill all the seals. Once the paint is off you will need to make 100% sure that the stripper is removed.

Your method for the most common way seems very complicated to me. I went with sand blasting, 5min a caliper and the job was done.

so the seals generally come out and go back in ok if they are in good nick? or will they bust when you take them out making a new set essential

If you know how to remove them they will come out OK even if fooked. The little clip holds them in place, if you remove that they will come out no bother at all.

If stripping them right down I would replace the seals regardless. The one's you have linked to look fine. I would check with MrT though just in case they are cheaper.

I am guessing Mr.T doesn't do a refurb kit so I will need to know which seals to replace. is it just caliper piston seals? 4 on each caliper? or are there other seals/rubbers that need replacing at the same time?

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

That and the previous op already told you they do a refurb kit. You miss out a lot of reading on this forum ;)

It probably hadn't finished uploading, try now. The rear bodywork was 16 pounds lighter after stripping, having gained 5 different colours of paint over the years. The original Camel Yellow was there still as the first coat.

It's damn messy! Who does it and what are the costs? I want to get ARP calipers stripped down for re-painting.

Something small can be done in a cabinet, just Google Soda Blasting and see if there's someone near you,. I took the bodywork to Birmingham as it cost a lot less than having him bring his gear to me, plus I didn't want sodium bicarbonate all over the place. Due to the multiple layers of paint it was bloody expensive, in my opinion, just the large bodywork section cost £500, and he said it should have been more.... Something like a pair of calipers would be about 30 quid I guess. If they were mine I'd just glass bead blast them myself, I have a fairly big blast cabinet of my own. Soda is quite speciaised as if it gets in the least bit damp it clumps up and the job stops, you need compressors with air dryers, which are costly, The kits are £20,000 plus VAT.