The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Waxing the chassis

kingaby

Right here is my drama my car has been sat out side in the full weather conditions. Then sand blasted and sprayed on the inside. The rust has just started showing but only on corners where it has been sanded to the metal. I the car back to my house and had a closer look inside the car. I found roughly about 5-6 kg of sand from the sand blasting. I have had to drill 1 drain hole in each panel. I used a jet wash to get rid of the sand does anyone think I need too wax the chassis if so how much would it cost. I want to do it properly. Someone came to my house and is a big kit car fan and mentioned in conversation about it???????????????????????

DSC01024.JPG

If you mean waxoyl, then that would be the last thing you should be doing before painting. Paint first then waxoyl. If your aim it to get this into a magazine You should be underneath preparing/priming/painting etc then after that waxoyl(if you want) inside the sills subframes doors etc

Prime any bare metal to start with to protect it while doing repairs etc

Pesonally I'm not a huge fan of waxoyl, Although I have just done mine, go figure :)

If you mean waxoyl, then that would be the last thing you should be doing before painting. Paint first then waxoyl. If your aim it to get this into a magazine You should be underneath preparing/priming/painting etc then after that waxoyl(if you want) inside the sills subframes doors etc

Prime any bare metal to start with to protect it while doing repairs etc

Pesonally I'm not a huge fan of waxoyl, Although I have just done mine, go figure :)

It was my father that mentioned it he was talking about the inner chassis he said the tool has a small but long pipe that’s pushed into e.g. the chassis leg then its like a spray gun as you feed the pipe back out it puts a primer or as my dad said wax inside stops rust getting in and working its way out. Personally I have never heard of it but I did know about the under body waxoyl is this the same stuff i.e. u said about sub frames doors sills etc

:yeahthat: Also You have to get the can of waxoyl very warm/hot to get it to go through the lance your dad is on about. It would make you laugh if you saw it tbh. its a small (2-3mm) pipe about 1mtr long so its not that useful with a nail rammed in the end.

Its far from effective especially at this time of year as the waxoyl comes out of the can hot and very fluid, by the time it reaches the othe end of the pipe it has cooled and thickened, So it blocks easily and as you can't see whats coming out of the end inside the chassis rail you never know whether it has done the job.

As I said earlier this job is way off looking at your car, It is ill advised to weld, grind or paint after you have used this. Very flammable and paint has trouble sticking to it :)

Rob

:yeahthat: Also You have to get the can of waxoyl very warm/hot to get it to go through the lance your dad is on about. It would make you laugh if you saw it tbh. its a small (2-3mm) pipe about 1mtr long so its not that useful with a nail rammed in the end.

Its far from effective especially at this time of year as the waxoyl comes out of the can hot and very fluid, by the time it reaches the othe end of the pipe it has cooled and thickened, So it blocks easily and as you can't see whats coming out of the end inside the chassis rail you never know whether it has done the job.

As I said earlier this job is way off looking at your car, It is ill advised to weld, grind or paint after you have used this. Very flammable and paint has trouble sticking to it :)

Rob

thank you so much i would have made the wrong choice from what you have said i think i will take your advice. thanx again i have a few more questions if you would be willing to help

1. the body is nearly ready for the bodykit. how would you get the bodykit on. create brakets and screw them on or would you drill and pop rivet it on?

2. how easy would it be to get a new front crossmember and crash bar sorry if the items i am on about are the wrong names but they need replacing and how much would they cost ruffly?

3. i have built up a few contacts for trade prices i.e. spraying a few performance parts and a dyno which will include remapping but im in dia need to find someone trusted to do the carpet headlining and seat's and maybe the dash do you know of any one?

if you can't answer any questions could you guide me in the right direction thanx you are a great help

Glad to have helped :)

In answer to your questions, personally I would ask these as seperate questions in the relevant places on the forum AFTER you have searched, as these questions have probably been asked and answered at some point. If you don't find what you are looking for then ask. I will try to answer any questions whether you have searched or not but it is very appreciated by others here that you make the effort to do some research :)

The bodykit will be fixed by various methods depending on which part you are working on, there are plenty of very skilled/qualified people here that will be happy to advise. just be accurate and to the point when you ask, ie ask how you fit a particular part rather than 'how do I fix the bodykit on'

The crashbars come up in the for sale section at times(if I'm thinking of the same part) the best thing is to ask in the wanted section. people remove them to fit aftermarket bumpers and generally they have them sitting gathering dust in the shed.

I'm not sure about the crossmember, hopefully nic will be able to advise if they are available and give a part number if they are.

As for the seats, dash etc That is another question asked in the relevant section as it is more location based, someone from NI with experiences good or bad with traders in your area.

Rob

I have never been on a club site like this so i am still getting my head around how to do things properly. I will search now and read more i think its my supra it has got me so happy and full of questions. Right well i think over time i will sit and read as much info as i can find on here and i will catch up on my knoledge a bit more. i just dont want to do something i will regret with my car. thanx rob for all your help so far much helped.