The mkiv Supra Owners Club

modified insurance *HELP!

Rich

If you're with Admiral - then get your policy cancelled & go with AD Flux. That's what I had to do. Admiral had problems understanding what a Turbo Timer is/does ... and put it down on my policy as a Turbo Upgrade. My policy sky-rocketted from £787 - £2543

Even UK Breaks is considered a No-No at Admiral if you've got a JSpec Car.

AD Flux are quite reasonable ... £961 with mods declared.

I tried lots of companies this year and Adrian Flux were the only people who understood and allowed my basic mods - they got my business anyway.

Only complaint so far is that they posted my docs out with a 2nd class stamp, Royal Mail then kept them because the postage was 19p under and charged me a £1.00 handling fee - scumbags!

cheers Gaz I rang them earlier and they quoted me 1250 f/c. at age 25

all mods declared,she kept asking me what bhp it would be with the mods and I said I dont know so they just classed it as a25% performance increase.:p

Think ill be using them this time round anyway only 100 quid more than with direct line and no mods declared!

Well that is a crock of sh*t cos I called Mr flux and they quoted us over £1200 at 28 with full no claims never claimed no convictions etc on a standard N/A. What a load of ass cos tesco's will still whoop that. Call connections on 0871 2221686 even beat tesco's!! If you are over 30 then liverpool victoria is the place of modders choice.

problem is liverpool vic wont insure imports.

Anyway well see if flux's are true to their word cos she said shell be sending the quote in writing so well see if they are full of sh*t or not.I hope not because nobody else I know of is keen on insuring a modded supe at my age!

LOL I am not saying that your quote was shite but that mine was. Same company older female driver with even more ancient male named driver- both fully no claimed up both never claimed in their lives and a seriously lower powered car and the virtually same amount to insure. Even worse stick the same engine in as you have without mods and we have to pay more insurance than you with mods!!! Now that is a crock of shit:mad:

Originally posted by albundy68

UK brakes were a factory option on the J spec, so you shouldnt have to declaire them at all! :baa:

Are you sure ? I always thought because the Supe was limited to 115 mph in Japan ... that was the reason for putting the smaller disks & calipers. I thought the J-Spec breaks were standard on all J Spec Supes.

Though - technically speaking imo - I think changing the breaks from J-Spec to UK spec ... you would need to declare them. Because you're altering the spec of the car after it make off the production line. And I think in the event of a claim ... that's what an insurance company would say.

If they can do it on alloy wheels ... they'll certainly do it on breaks.

Its a mugs game declaring any toyota standard part upgrade to insurance companies. Each and every variant of the J-spec supra costs the same to insure so why tell the muppets if you put a part on your SZ from say a GZ? They only sting you for more money when you are allready paying for top of the range insurance costs.

Originally posted by Clarkey_Sparkey

Are you sure ? I always thought because the Supe was limited to 115 mph in Japan ... that was the reason for putting the smaller disks & calipers. I thought the J-Spec breaks were standard on all J Spec Supes.

They fitted them to the RZ S and AFAIK the GZ's. The brakes have supra on them and look to all intents and purposes like standard fit options. If you dinked them and needed replacements straight off toyota UK's shelf it would be a standard part. The muppets charge the same for every model of Mk IV import car so they wouldn't know if the car came with those brakes or not. Aftermarket alloys however are another matter.

I agree with you in as such as better safe than sorry but I also say why throw your money away?

Agreed. I'm not saying it's right - we all know that insurance companies are the worst thieves around.

So, they are going to do absolutely everything to find fault with a claim.

There is a thread here about insurance company declining a claim because of aftermarket headrests .... if they can do that with headrests ... I think could do the same for the breaks.

Imo - declare it ... just say you've fitted UK Toyota breaks and get it in writing ... then you've got them by the balls. (Metaphorically speaking of course)

Originally posted by dangerous brain

you have aftermarket mats and they went under the brake pedal??? Its just a battle of wills with insurance now.

This is true - I suppose a car sticker is technically a modification.

However, I think just declaring the mechanical & electronic mods is where it stops. Because if I was caught by an insurance company not liking what Matts/Headrests/Seat Covers/air-freshner I had in the car ... I'd have no choice but to take the them to court. And I think they'd lose - it would be a pain the arse ... but their case just wouldn't stand-up in court at all.

"Well M'lord, the claim was denied based upon the fabric texture of the aftermarket headrests. We didn't like the colour of it."

Hmmm...

And on a similar basis "those brakes were on the car when I bought it M'lud, and I was unaware that they were not factory fitted when my car rolled off the production line" Nuff said they can't prove that they are aftermarket without research- and to be fair they can't be arsed to do research cos if they could they wouldn't charge the same amount for a car that has 230 bhp and 326 bhp would they??? Like for very similar supra standard spec parts I think you would easily get away with. I am half tempted to just insure my car as a TT

At the end of day - alot of ppl here no doubt don't declare their mods ... maybe it's for the sake of money ... maybe it's for the sake that the insurance muppet down the other end of the phone wouldn't know what they're talking about.

But - we all own expense bits of kit. I cannot afford to have a claim invalidated because of some poxy mod. I don't think none of us can.

Not saying your wrong mate - quite the opposite but I think we're talking about different things. Some ppl wouldn't bother mentioning their breaks. I probably wouldn't have bothered until I saw AD Flux's questionaire asking about breaks...size of the disks, calipers etc.

I made the move from Admiral -> AD Flux (because of Admiral not accepting my mods) .. and was given a 4 page questionaire about modifications.

I just think it's best in the long run to declare anything non-standard (without going silly) - that way you're bomb proof. The insurance company can't invalidate you're policy.