The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange electrical problem

markylee

I cant work this out at all..........driving along with music on , stop car turn ignition off, and after a couple of seconds you can hear a feint click coming from the dash, then the stereo decides to turn itself back on, not only that but the digital clock sometimes comes back on too, i am sure that the clock shouldnt be on all the time with ignition off.....should it???? ......any help with this would be great , thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply, but do you mind if i ask why it should cause this , i have had the car for 5 years and its only started doing this in the last couple of months,

they are normally connected to the wires on the back of the ignition barrel and if the timer is faulty it could be making a connection between the wires when it shouldnt. thats my theory anyways ;)

As dwayne states, the turbo timer feeds a constant live after the ignition key is removed to keep the engine running, this in turn keeps all your accessory live controlled items (stereo clock etc etc) running.

It sounds like your turbo timer is kicking in too late to keep the engine running so all's it's doing is switching the items mentioned back on.

Because everyone seems to hint that you don't really need them but why do people fit them in the first place?

Mine only usually runs the car for 10 seconds anyway....:blink:

H.

Total waste of time, and, as the forum seems in a in a vigilante frame of mind, they may be illegal if used as designed. To leave a car with the engine running in a public place is, I believe, against the law? If you don't leave the car I can't see the point of having them, just turn it off when you feel you have done your bit to deny the turbo manufacturers their profit, or drive to your destination allowing a few moments cool down time for the turbo(s).

Total waste of time, and, as the forum seems in a in a vigilante frame of mind, they may be illegal if used as designed. To leave a car with the engine running in a public place is, I believe, against the law? If you don't leave the car I can't see the point of having them, just turn it off when you feel you have done your bit to deny the turbo manufacturers their profit, or drive to your destination allowing a few moments cool down time for the turbo(s).

not sure if there illegal, but i'm pretty sure it invalidates the insurance...

• 1 month later...

I have now taken the turbo timer out, but i i still have the same problem ;-( this doesnt happen all the time, but the digital clock turns off then you can hear a small click coming from the dash,(clock...stereo area) then the clock comes back on again and sometime the stereo too, i also noticed that if i dont turn the sterero off it still stays on after removing the key, which it never used to do, any ideas ????????

Just because the first unsubstantiated wild guess didn't turn out to be the solution doesn't necessarily mean the wiring is butchered :) Especially as it's been OK for 5 years until now. Sounds more like an earth fault has developed.

Can I clarify something - what do you mean by "the clock turns off"? The clock should be on all the time, otherwise it'll lose the time. Do you mean its illumination goes off and then comes back on again?

Also, when the stereo comes back on does it come on fully or only do something like extend the aerial?

Have a look at the earth points behind the footwell kick panels, both the clock power system and the stereo use them.

-Ian

Edited by Ian C (see edit history)

:

Just because the first unsubstantiated wild guess didn't turn out to be the solution doesn't necessarily mean the wiring is butchered :) Especially as it's been OK for 5 years until now. Sounds more like an earth fault has developed.

Can I clarify something - what do you mean by "the clock turns off"? The clock should be on all the time, otherwise it'll lose the time. Do you mean its illumination goes off and then comes back on again?

Also, when the stereo comes back on does it come on fully or only do something like extend the aerial?

Have a look at the earth points behind the footwell kick panels, both the clock power system and the stereo use them.

-Ian

Sorry for the late reply,yes it is just the illumination that turns off and comes back on again, the cd player actually starts playing again,I also have just remembered something, the first time this happened was when i had the music on very very loud , parked up in underground car park, 8 hours later after finnishing work, went to the car and the sound of the WHO greeted me,so i am now wondering if the vibration has caused this , if it is!!! then its keith moons fault,:looney: