The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cams, really all that

Bailey.

Basically I'm getting a few bits together and am trying to make a choice about cams! Basically I will be running a t88, at least for the time being! I understand with 264 cams I can put them in without any other headwork! But am I right in thinking that if I wanted a set of 272 cams I would need springs and a pos reshim????

Really I want to know is what will I gain with upgraded cams over my jspec cams?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I feel it's so important to make a good choice of cams, it's on a stock bottom end with a rev limit of no more the 7500, the t88 is part of the kit I have so I think I have to give it a go, even though I'm sure in the nearish future I will switch to a 6765 billet tubz!

Basically I'm getting a few bits together and am trying to make a choice about cams! Basically I will be running a t88, at least for the time being! I understand with 264 cams I can put them in without any other headwork! But am I right in thinking that if I wanted a set of 272 cams I would need springs and a pos reshim????

Really I want to know is what will I gain with upgraded cams over my jspec cams?

you'll probably need to re-shim the cams anyway.. mine needed re-shiming and there 264's

T88 is an old design Turbo, however with a set of 272 cams it is still and aggressive piece of kit, go for it :)

This is what I'm trying to get at, what will accompany the t88 and bring the best out of if?? But will also do the same for a billet 6765 or bw91/79 or alike?

I think cams to be honest are a must, but should 264s drop-straight in? What extra cost, and power would 272s make/do??? Trying to wey up if there worth the extra cost

As i said it depends what power you want, big cams for big revs and big power, there is always a trade off, 264's will drop in with a reshim, as will 272's but i would do springs etc to make the most of them and rev higher, then you are into changing rod bolts if you want the revs, it goes on and on.

Bung the turbo kit on and see what it feels like to you would be my advice.

This is what I'm trying to get at, what will accompany the t88 and bring the best out of if?? But will also do the same for a billet 6765 or bw91/79 or alike?

It's not that simple, you need to plan for your future spec, not the interim one (as mentioned unless you have money to burn)

If you want the best from the T88 you'll need a LOT of rpm and at absolute minimum the rod bolts changed. The rpm and spool of this turbo means that a very high lift cam is needed to make the most of it, plus high boost (1.8bar at least).

Those specs will be a little in conflict to the future turbo plans.

What I'm getting at is what is a good choice for a T88 won't automatically be a good choice for a more modern turbo. Think of the bigger picture :)

It's not that simple, you need to plan for your future spec, not the interim one (as mentioned unless you have money to burn)

If you want the best from the T88 you'll need a LOT of rpm and at absolute minimum the rod bolts changed. The rpm and spool of this turbo means that a very high lift cam is needed to make the most of it, plus high boost (1.8bar at least).

Those specs will be a little in conflict to the future turbo plans.

What I'm getting at is what is a good choice for a T88 won't automatically be a good choice for a more modern turbo. Think of the bigger picture :)

I'm eventually going to be with a 6765 I'm sure, so I suppose I need to focus on that! But it may not be for 6-12 months! Surely if I went with272s now and got springs etc done, thongs would be in place for the future? I'm sure they would work ok( better than stock) with the t88, and would work well with the 6765 as we've all seen jamesy's results recently!!???

I would speak to Lee about his SRD cams mate. I have got the stage 2 cams (similar to a 269) with a 9.6 lift.

As Jamie and Darryl say u need to look for the future. To get tje best out of the 6765 u will want decent cams.

I had the shims done, all gapped perfectly and uprated springs, all done by Lee ;)

Shimming is easy dude choice of cams isn't, when I built the silver car everyone said oh you can't use 272's on the road etc etc it won't idle etc. When I eventually fitted 272's to me it idled like stock and lost nothing down the bottom end. Cam choice on a forced induction is nowhere near as critical as on a normaly aspirated engine at the end of the day you are using the turbo to make the power, characteristics can to a certain extent be tuned in or out of an engine by altering the cam timing or tune with the ecu and by careful turbo choice.

Cam choice on an Auto however is a lot more critical as you need to get that thing moving off the line. You could even have a cam designed for you, cam manufacturers always state lift and duration but they never state the most important spec/measuremant of all that makes the difference, there is some very new camshaft technology coming soon that supposedly will revolutionise the driveability of the 4 stroke engine.

If I was you I'd seriously consider ditching th t88 And go with a decent newer turbo design and build the setup based on that.

Strangely the T88 kit is still one of the dearest single kits Titan sell, there are a lot of big power cars still running the T88;) Of course if your offering him a loan to go Billet DBB i can understand.

The dude (as in OP) is looking for 600ish bhp on a stock block.....t88 isn't the right choice for him in his situation

The dude!!!! also doesn't have ££££££ falling out his bum otherwise he would not be buying 2nd hand turbo kits, there is nothing to stop him fitting the T88 and saving up for whatever turbo he wants, we had a T88 on a stock block make over 550 @ 1.4 bar the other dayso 600 will be no problem with cams and a decent ecu;)

On the subject of cams why is it everyone goes NUTS on the exhaust side in regards to lift on a stock porting job?

My understanding from alot of reading up, research and speaking to some highly respected guys, is regardless what cams you throw in on the exhaust side, on an unported head, it fails to flow anymore air at about 8mm of lift so why would someone throw in such high lift cams on a stock head when theres nothing realy to be gained?

Now i await to be proved wrong :)

On the subject of cams why is it everyone goes NUTS on the exhaust side in regards to lift on a stock porting job?

My understanding from alot of reading up, research and speaking to some highly respected guys, is regardless what cams you throw in on the exhaust side, on an unported head, it fails to flow anymore air at about 8mm of lift so why would someone throw in such high lift cams on a stock head when theres nothing realy to be gained?

Now i await to be proved wrong :)

I think its been proved time and again that porting a supra head achieves pretty much nothing on a bhp per £ basis. Bigger valves yes porting imo is a waste of money on a car used for say dreg racing, you may get a little more driveability but Im happy with bigger valves and some nice smoothing round the seats.