The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power steering help needed

craig l

For the last few weeks my ps has been whineing for a few mins on start up then its fine. Tuesday i started it the steering barely moved its groaning and whineing really bad, its eases slightly with higher revs but its still not right. I took off reservoir cleaned it out made no difference, bought a pump from richardstock, car was in getting mot'd yesterday they fitted the other ps pump it made no difference still sounds the same. So either both pumps are knackered or like they say im needing a new rack. What are the other options could it be the reservoir.

Actually the first time i tryed it on tuesday i didnt realise the wheels had to be off the ground, only noticed after doing a search tonight, the cars in the garage until monday i'll get them to try it. Did think its a bit weird whineing slightly one day then really bad the next would a rack go that quick.

Hi Mate,

Sorry to hear your having issues dude.

When i bought the pump i was told the pump was working fine, with no strange noises,

When you turned the pully by itself there is no grindy nothcy feeling from it so the front bearing is ok.

You will need to bleed the system fully if you have replaced the pump, you will need to raise the front of the car so both of the front wheels are off the ground, take the cap off the reservoir, then you will need to turn the wheel lock to lock a fair few times and check the level of the fluid and top up if needed then do it again.

If your still having issues mate then let me know.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

So maybe if i'd bled it properly the first time i wouldnt have had to change the pump but it was only whineing a bit for a few mins then the next day sounded like the pump had gone. Not good if im needing a new rack just paid insurance tax bought a clutch and im going to dubai next week, only good news is it sailed through the mot apart from the dodgy steering.

I would wash the reservoir out with brake cleaner and then blow it out with compressed air, If the strainer inside is very mucky you have probably found the problem. When re filling leave it overnight after one fill and a few lock to locks and top it again the next after the air bubbles have migrated out. It will be noisy until then. No need to jack wheels up really, but does no harm if you like exercise :)

Thanks i'll give that a try again i cleaned it out on wed with white spirit the fluid was pretty brown done a lock to lock a few times didnt make any difference left it until the next night still the same noise although i didnt try to bleed it again, took it to get the other pump fitted the next day. I'll tell them to give it another clean tommorrow.