The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheapest place for new coil packs?

The-Plethora

With my recent issues http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=228668&page=3

I have been trying various things, checking connectors etc with some success. With the car sounding lumpy a quick play with connectors and things seemed ok. I have some new connectors on order from Whifbitz but they had to order them in.

Fast forwards to today and I had a breakdown with the same issue, very low power (20mph max). So rather than take chances stuck about 3 miles from home I called the AA.

The guy who showed up was pretty decent, I know the AA has a bit of a bad rep sometimes. He took the connectors off and remarked they seemed almost new but the coil packs were likely original.

On removing all coil packs and cleaning them the car seems fine. However I don't want to take any chances and would prefer to replace the lot.

Is there anywhere decent or is Mr T my best option? I had a look and they seem to be £300+ for six? Still a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I hope to change the plugs, coil packs and coil packs connectors.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Dave

Bear in mind you have only changed the plastic casings of the connectors. The electrical terminals are still old and they are prone to opening up and not making a tight connection on the male prongs of the coil packs themselves. You can fiddle with a jeweller's screwdriver and try and tighten the up, or you buy new terminals with short wire tails already crimped on from Toyota to splice into your engine loom.

I soldered some R/C car motor power connectors onto mine, they make such a great contact with thier massive gold plated terminals, not had any missfire since & I was adjusting my connectors every 6 months or so (even before I moved my ignitor into the footwell),

Pics of said connectors:

attachment.php?attachmentid=110645&stc=1&d=1274509857

attachment.php?attachmentid=110646&stc=1&d=1274509857

Full thread here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=218291&highlight=traxxas

Cheers J :)

It does also mean if I every suspect a coilpack I need to resolder a connector onto the pins :D, but at the mo the car is running missfire free at a power higher than ever, so I'm happy.

I bet if Toyota redid the coilpack connectors now they'd do it differently, they're flawed IMHO and shows it with age