The mkiv Supra Owners Club

97 SZ-R - Sell it or Break it?

Crockett512

The time has come to sell, I've had my fun on the Supra front, and always knew it was going to be impractical for me... but I do now really need something more useful (Defender or Discovery!).

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=18348&d=1286561517

My Supe is a 1997 NA, with 90k on the clock. Today, it went straight through it's MOT. The tester said he tried to fail it but couldn't, nothing wrong! I bought her 2 days after landing from Africa after climbing Kili, and since then I've put new wheels on, sorted the stereo out, serviced it, and done a few bits and bobs. I paid around £5000, and have probably spent £2000 since, mainly on the new wheels. The only thing I'd criticise is the bodywork or paint in a couple of places, nothing else wrong!

Thing is, being the SZ-R, it has the V161 and A02B. What with how NA prices are, I'm wondering if I'd make more by breaking it up? It would be a crying shame, but if I could get 2500 for the gearbox, say £1000 for wheels with tyres... not sure on the diff or the engine (Both perfect and lets face it, never been worked hard by NA power!)

Is this the way forward, or should I give it a few weeks just up for sale? Only other thing is I don't know how much they fetch in part exchange, not much I guess? Has anyone any thoughts on it? I'd want to sell it in chunks, Ie Engine complete etc, so I'm not left with bits I'll never shift.

What do you think, any experience with this?

Thanks!

Matt

You'd probably make more putting it back to stock and selling things like the wheels, bumper, skirts, etc. You should easily be able to find a set of stock wheels and possibly someone with same colour car who wants to swap the bumper and skirts plus money.

You could also swap the 6spd gearbox with someone who has a 5spd.

Then sell the car.

I think that'd be the best way to maximise your return.

You can't break this, it's stunning! I tried to sort out a trip to Scotland when Dave was selling it, but I couldn't get there. I think it's one of the nicest looking Supras I've seen.

If you do end up breaking it though, I'll take the front bumper :)

You'd probably make more putting it back to stock and selling things like the wheels, bumper, skirts, etc. You should easily be able to find a set of stock wheels and possibly someone with same colour car who wants to swap the bumper and skirts plus money.

You could also swap the 6spd gearbox with someone who has a 5spd.

Then sell the car.

I think that'd be the best way to maximise your return.

:yeahthat:

Should still get £3.5-4k for the car with a 5 speed, and £2.5k for the box on it's own.

I suspect most 6 speed NAs will have a similar fate, they're very difficult to get hold of now due to the value of the gearbox.

You'd probably get £5k breaking it, but that would be a great shame :(

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Just out of interest, why does it have pre facelift headlights?

As far as I'm aware they are facelift, but have had the chrome removed and blacked... though they've been like it since I've owned it.

I've been trying to return it to stock, but if I can't find stock parts in the correct colour, I've got to spray... if thats the case it's just putting more cost on it... I think really I'd either sell as is, or just go for it and strip it to bits....but if I could sell it for £4k with a 5spd and then make £2.5 on the 6spd, surely it would be worth around £5.5 as is? I might just put it for sale and see what happens... alternatively if anyone out there has a Landy Defender!

I might just put it for sale and see what happens... alternatively if anyone out there has a Landy Defender!

Exactly..she looks a nice car, you never know your luck :)

lol.. I came from a modded Discovery to my Supra..both are impractical..Disco too tall for multi-story..Supra too low!

:)

pm'd :D

Thanks for the interest Jamesy! Would be brilliant if I could get a group together of people who wanted specific parts, and then strip it in and be sold in a weekend!

Positive comments though guys, I'm gonna put it up for sale this weekend and see what happens. £5500 asking price, broken down:

£2500 Gearbox

£1000 Wheels/Tyres (Ultralites & 4 month old Toyo T1-Rs)

So would need £2000 from the rest of the car. Doable I think..

Thanks!

Matt

They're pre facelift. The position of the Lamps are different, and they have the sidelight domes in them :)

Interesting..Cheers! Steve Manley at Toyota told me the other day it was built in may 1996, so possibly a crossover between facelift/prefacelift?

lol.. I came from a modded Discovery to my Supra..both are impractical..Disco too tall for multi-story..Supra too low

Argh don't dissuade me now... maybe I could jack the supra up and compromise!

• 1 month later...