The mkiv Supra Owners Club

18'' wheels hitting arches

PDowdy

Hi,

I've just upgraded to some 18'' wheels to replace my stock 17s.

I'm still running wih standard suspension and wondered if anyone else had issues with 18's hitting the rear arches ?

Seems if I boot it on the flat or get some compression from hilly roads at speed the the arches squeal at me.

I'm looking at getting he arches rolled but want to know i this is normal or is this showing up some issues wth my suspension?

These are 18'' rota drifts supplied by Paul btw , 9.5'' rears.

I'm looking at getting he arches rolled but want to know i this is normal or is this showing up some issues wth my suspension?

These are 18'' rota drifts supplied by Paul btw , 9.5'' rears.

If the wheels are low offset and the tyres are close to the arches then yes you will get rubbing when accelerating and when cornering hard, especially on the stock springs which are fairly soft.

Slightly narrower tyres may help as will rolling the arches.

Might be worth double checking that the wheel arch liners are secured and in place ie. nothing hanging down that could be rubbing on the tyre.

Yeah they're low offset so sit flush with the arches, they're not hiting the liners but actually clipping the inside of the arches - white car so easy to see black rubber marks on the inside of them.

Chees for he info guys, tink I'll have to get the arches rolled and I think I'll try and use this as a way of convincing the missus I 'NEED' new suspension! ;)