The mkiv Supra Owners Club

boost but not power?

mellonman

strange one but i have just fitted stage 3 hybrid turbos they seem fine but do have a problem that i want to get sorted before i see ryan for ecu and map,

what i get is

lets say first turbo spools and i get boost reading 0.8 at 3000rpm but not the power then get a serge of power a little later (this feels like a smaller kick like what you get with the bpu second turbo) then the second turbo comes in at 5000rpm and i tearing up tarmac at worp speed.

im not sure if this happends every time

is this just lag from the bigger and heavier turbo internals

should i just replace all vacuem pipes

could this be the egbv sticking? when it was all apart it seemed to be free and working just fine.

Probably not the same, but I went bpu a month ago, I was hitting 0.7 on the first turbo but didn't seem to have the same power as b4, but had a good kick when the second came in. It turned out that because the car had been sitting for 6 weeks that the rear brakes were binding fairly badly. was strange because you couldn't feel them binding, possibly a mixture of the power and weight of the car. jacked the car up and could only just turn the hubs by hand. freed them off and the difference was immense.

It sounds weird I know, But its strange to be making strong positive boost, but to not feel a surge. It had me confused for a while, I checked all pipes etc and thought that I was imagining it. Mine is auto, If it was a manual I'd think that this would be easier to diagnose.

right i checked the brakes all are free, but still seem to get this problem

i get 0.6 boost at 3000 rpm but power only seems to come at after 3500 rpm

if i accelarte slowly it seems to build boost normally but if i put my foot down a little more it has nothing and then a kick at 3500 and then again at 4700 with second turbo.