The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brakes - What to check?

Kilps

I started taking things apart yesterday, with the intention of replacing brake pads. As I've got them in pieces anyway, I thought I might as well do all the other brake jobs too.

I've already considered the following:

Pads: I thought I'd skip the questions (and inevitable answer) and just buy some CW Fast Road pads :D

Discs: I think the discs are alright for now, but I wouldn't say no to a second opinion. Is it worth me posting pics on here, or is that something that would have to be seen in person?

Hoses: I plan to replace these with Goodridge braided ones. Where is the best place to buy these? Does anyone have a part number so I can make sure I buy the right ones?

Hard-lines (not sure of the technical term!): I read somewhere on here that these can rot underneath a cover somewhere. I haven't found this yet (but I haven't looked yet), but I thought that was worth checking.

Fluid: I want to bleed the whole system, because I'm not sure when it was last done (or if it ever has been since new). What's the best fluid and where's the best place to buy?

What have I missed? Are there any other bits worth checking whilst I'm at it?

I have UK-Spec brakes on a J-Spec car if that makes any difference. I have enough knowledge/confidence to take things apart and put them back together, but I'm not always sure what I'm actually checking for!

Thanks in advance for any help!

It sounds like you have already removed the pins that locate the pads? If so it's well worth lightly copper slipping them where they sit on the caliper when you refit....they can almost weld themselves to the caliper and be a right pita to get out.

The "Hardline" that can leak is located at the rear (follow the plastic cover that runs down the passenger side chassis rail and where that ends the fuel and brake pipes head upwards and slightly more central and you should see the bolt and cover up high by rear subframe) ......you will need a 10/12mm socket on an extension and a flat headed screwdriver to pop the plastic cover/tab off....... watch your eyes as dirt/crud will fall straight on you :)

If the disks feel alright and have no massive lip on them are free from cracks etc then they will be fine for now.

I'd check the disks have the dust/heat sheilding behind them just to 100% that the car had the larger uk brakes from the factory.

Toyota sell an overhaul kit for the calipers that includes all new seals, pins etc. Might be worth doing these whilst you have the calipers off.

04479-14140 4 pot Front Brake Caliper Overhaul Kit

04479-14130 2 pot Rear Brake Caliper Overhaul Kit

If your getting new pads, get new shims for the front as well.

04945-14110 4 pot Front Brake Shim Kit

Thanks for the responses guys!

I've taken the pads out of both offside calipers and I've left the nearside ones all together so I can use them as a guide to help put the others back together. All but one of the pins came out fine, but one was a right pain! The dust/heat shield is there. Also, the car is an RZ which I understand came with the UK brakes as standard (see posts 9,12 and 14 here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=224177)

I've emailed Chris about his pads, just waiting for a response.

If I'm going to replace the discs (I'm still not sure if I am yet), is it worth me getting drilled/grooved discs if I'm sticking with the standard calipers or am I better off just sticking with the standard discs? Does this differ for front/rear?

I've found a couple of variations of the Goodridge hoses. These:

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3953074

and these:

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3952121

What differences are there between the stainless steel fittings and the zinc plated fittings? I assume the stainless steel ones are better (only because they're more expensive!)?

I followed the 'hard lines', found the plastic cover and took it off. Thankfully there was no sign of any corrosion and barely any dust underneath. I haven't checked under the plastic rail that runs front to back, so I might take that off whilst the car's up in the air.

I think I'm better off with DOT5.1 fluid rather than DOT4; am I right?

Nic, cheers for the part numbers. Do you reckon I'm best off buying direct from Mr T or are there cheaper/better places to buy these?