The mkiv Supra Owners Club

driving without undertray

Guest van_damme_supra

Guest van_damme_supra

would it be bad driving around with active spoiler without the undertray? :s can't find one and been looking for ages now :(

if someone has one, or see one for sale pm me please and tell the person it's sold for sure!

Edited by van_damme_supra (see edit history)

I also drive without undertray. The reason is that otherwise I

don't pass the belgian MOT because the car hasn't got a 9cm ground clearing with the undertray attached :s

And to remove/attach the undertray each year... :(

I never go above 120mph so I don't think it is bad driving without it.

Guest van_damme_supra
I also drive without undertray. The reason is that otherwise I

don't pass the belgian MOT because the car hasn't got a 9cm ground clearing with the undertray attached :s

And to remove/attach the undertray each year... :(

I never go above 120mph so I don't think it is bad driving without it.

you are from belgium? so you speak dutch? i don't know if the spoiler will work perfectly as it is atached to the tray normally..

and what about the dirt and water?

There have been a couple of engine failures this year due to not running an under tray where large items have flicked up off the road and lodged behind the crank pulley breaking the front cover near the oil pump causing the engine to purge all it oil onto the road and suck air.

But this is obviously a lottery.

There have been a couple of engine failures this year due to not running an under tray where large items have flicked up off the road and lodged behind the crank pulley breaking the front cover near the oil pump causing the engine to purge all it oil onto the road and suck air.

But this is obviously a lottery.

Are you sure about this? Are you not mistaking these failures for crank pulleys becoming detached?

I run mine with the undertray off and a fixed 'active' spoiler in the down position. You need the front section behind the bumper to hang the spoiler off near the wheels, but the main section is not required. I prefer it off for servicing and easy inspection. Having the tray fitted masks any early warning signs of problems.

From another thread:

No undertray will increase drag (lower top speed, possibly measurable drop in fuel economy), and it will lower the efficiency of the radiator and air conditiioning cooling. It's there for a good reason. Look underneath a Saab someday, and you will see it's virtually totally sealed and flat, they even have little vanes to direct underside airflow around the rear wheels and tyres. That's why they have such excellent coefficient of drag figures.

I heared the engine rests on the undertray instead of engine mounts, there have been some cases of the engine falling out due to no undertray and people not being able to find it again.

I have searched and searched for the reason why my engine suddenly went awol last month. Thanks for the info. Imagine the suprised look on the rac mans face when he opened the bonnet after I rang them due to losing a fair bit of power.

Oh and if anyone sees a 2jz on the hard shoulder of the m5 pm me.

you guys are confusing the engine undertray with the active spoiler's undertray.

the engine one usualy gets ripped off at high speed, then then nuts rust onto the bolts and you cant pull them out leaving you to yank off the remaining plastic off with brute force :p

i had mine go like thins on my 98 car. and then again on my uk spec. my jspec i had to bump the car up on a curb and roll arround in the dirt and hack at it with a knife to get rid of it. same with my uk but i repaired it with cable ties only for it to go again later. had to get the garrage to put it on the lift because i couldnt reach the back of the engine where it was still attached.

since then it ran thunder road at 164mph without problems aswell as a couple of track days.

Are you sure about this? Are you not mistaking these failures for crank pulleys becoming detached?

I run mine with the undertray off and a fixed 'active' spoiler in the down position. You need the front section behind the bumper to hang the spoiler off near the wheels, but the main section is not required. I prefer it off for servicing and easy inspection. Having the tray fitted masks any early warning signs of problems.

The law of averages say it must be so.

Guest van_damme_supra
The active spoiler will work fine without the under tray.

Just more muck gets drawn up into the engine bay, and the aerodynamics will be less efficient.

how can the spoiler work fine if its not attached to something on the sides :s am i being stupid?