The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big single auto .... with or without Hi Stall?

Jamesy

Hey hey!

Just wondered what peoples opinion is on the hi stall TC used in the built autoboxes?

I know the hi stall TC is pukka for the drag strip and off the lights .... but arund town can be a bit "revvy"!!

Whats the deal if you run without a hi stall? does it make it really laggy or does it just mean you cant get a good 60ft time on the strip?

Anyone runing (or have run) a powerful auto without hi stall? Thoughts please?

Muchos :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi jamesy

I ran around 500hp with a BIIIG single on a totally standard autobox with a stock torque converter and it never missed a beat. BUT I recon that billet turbo would tear it apart at over 700 horsies

Thanks John .... my question is more what the Boostlogic box is like without a hi stall? i will kill a stock autobox pretty quick.

I love the BL built box, its just the hi stall TC that im questioning the need of for an everyday car :search:

I've not got one so I don't know the benefits, but then again I don't fancy one either. My car drives great without it. It's only for getting off from a standing start, so you need to ask yourself whether that's important enough for you.

Once you're rolling, just turning OD off gives you all the control you need.

If you want to get wasted by puntos off the lights put a stock stall converter in;) Man up and go man:innocent:

It should slip less if you are gentle on the throttle James, also makes a diff when you kick down as it lets the revs rise quicker.

Dude it slips all the way to 3.5grand. Admit it shoots up quick on wot. But round town or on hills its pretty revvy without actually going anywhere!!

Thinking of sticking an oem TC in there for a bit to see how it drives :taped:

I only really need the hi stall for drag days but i use the car everyday.

Hmmmm

If you want to get wasted by puntos off the lights put a stock stall converter in;) Man up and go man:innocent:

totally agree, and Dude knows his stuff with powerfull autos, when i first went single i was a little under whelmed as it was not as quick off the mark as the stock ceramic twins and definately had lag, fitting the the high stall completetly transformed the car from a lagtastic poser into a traffic light drag car, at 500hp with a 3200rpm high stall nothing on four wheels has beat me yet off the mark, the car is also quicker when flooring it at speed

for me the high stall is in my top 3 mods i have done to the car, they work just as well on a stock box as they do on a built box, what size stall do you have

Edited by paul mac (see edit history)

I've got a 3800 and it just feels like it slipping all the time when crusing.

my Billet turbo spools mega fast anyway so would that not help if i went stock TC?

i love having it for off the lights, but for daily crusing too its a bit of a mare to live with sometimes :D

I've got a 3800 and it just feels like it slipping all the time when crusing.

my Billet turbo spools mega fast anyway so would that not help if i went stock TC?

i love having it for off the lights, but for daily crusing too its a bit of a mare to live with sometimes :D

sorry James did'nt quite read your post properly the first time, i think you problem is the spec, at over 700hp i think there in lies your problem, i would have gone manual runing that power mate, how about running a 3200rpm rather than a stock, i find it fine round toon

sorry James did'nt quite read your post properly the first time, i think you problem is the spec, at over 700hp i think there in lies your problem, i would have gone manual runing that power mate, how about running a 3200rpm rather than a stock, i find it fine round toon

Very true mate - if i hadnt of go SO carried away with the build i may have had enough cash to get a manual conversion done which is what i really want .... yeah maybe a 3200 hi stall would be better?!

Does your 3200 stall to 3200 or is it more like 3000?

OK for the last time a stall converter cannot be 3500 dead on, it is what it says on the box..... a torque converter!!!! IE the more torque you have the higher the stall especially when you 'flash' it ie kick it down without loading it up. A 3200 is not enough James, just learn to use the lock up switch, or find out if any one does a switch pitch converter which has 2 diff lock up settings;)

OK for the last time a stall converter cannot be 3500 dead on

Thanks mate - but i was talking about the turbo being 3500 not the TC ;)

I use the lock up switch all the time which helps, but if ya crusing round town, or climbing a hill with some slow ar5e infront the 3800 stall is HUGE ... imo :D

Thanks mate - but i was talking about the turbo being 3500 not the TC ;)

I use the lock up switch all the time which helps, but if ya crusing round town, or climbing a hill with some slow ar5e infront the 3800 stall is HUGE ... imo :D

Girl!!!!!;)

You're close to being my 2nd call out of the day young man .... broken hand or not i dont give a f**k .... :)

Don't let that stop you!!!! I still have one good hand, more than enough;)

Use the box as a man and then use the lock in each individual gear

Thanx John. Ive been using it in full on auto so will try

Manu mode ;)

No James, use it as in pull the lever back for 1st etc, make sure YOU put it in the gear you want and use the switch to control the lock, just like a lorry splitter box, you will soon get used to doing that.