The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which clutch.com

fastcar

Hi peeps

Have an RPS Street Max clutch that isnt realy working to well.

so looking to replace it with a new one. Problem is dont want to buy another one the is no good for the Supra. So just need some sort of advice on which one to get.

Was thinking about a Competition clutch from whifbitz ?

Anyone had any experience with these?

What's not working with it?

its a bad clutch for the supra... crunching gears and reverse is a joke. When clutch pedel is flat to the floor the car still creeps forwards like a auto. Chris willson says it to do with the low release piont the clutch has. reackons there so bad i wont even fit them now with custmer signing a disclaimer

RPS shouldn't have a low bite point though, unless it's using a re-ground pressure plate. I'd look towards incorrect fitting or just simply worn out.

Anyway, as has been mentioned, the Centreforce is cost effective and does seem to perform well. From personal experience (and many, many others here) i'd also recommend the Southbend DXD, possibly one of the most stock feeling and cost effective clutches available. Well proven to last on 650bhp+ cars and only about £400-500 delivered

If you have big money to spend then the carbon-carbon ones come into play but can't help but think that a waste of money on anything but 700bhp+ cars, or those that see regular track days.

I have the southbend stage 3, and it has the same problem with very low bite point..(and hard to get into 1st and reverse) though it will not move, when pedal is fully pressed.

I just bought the 6-speed N/A cylinder, to see if that will help the problem.(Fitting it tomorrow) Else I am replacing the master cylinder and having the whole install rechecked.

RPS shouldn't have a low bite point though, unless it's using a re-ground pressure plate. I'd look towards incorrect fitting or just simply worn out.

Anyway, as has been mentioned, the Centreforce is cost effective and does seem to perform well. From personal experience (and many, many others here) i'd also recommend the Southbend DXD, possibly one of the most stock feeling and cost effective clutches available. Well proven to last on 650bhp+ cars and only about £400-500 delivered

If you have big money to spend then the carbon-carbon ones come into play but can't help but think that a waste of money on anything but 700bhp+ cars, or those that see regular track days.

It was fitted as a brand new clutch no re-grounded pressure plate. I thought maybe it had been fitted wrong. But have heared on here a few other people having the same problem plus going by what Mr willson is saying its the clutch that is the problem. Does it mostly when the car has been taken for long runs. It does feel like a worn out clutch problem but has done it from new.

And has only been in there a year or so with not many milies on it.

Not really any point in me getting a carbon-carbon think 700bhp+ would far to much for a road car. Will have a look at the Southbend DXD.

Do you of anyplace that supplies them?

I have a Competition Clutch, now its bedding in it begining to behaves like oem, just a bit heavier. Deffo Recommend them.

Thanks for the info.

What type do u have?

do u know sort of power it can handle?

Looking at a few clutch system now. Seam the competition clutch is the easy one to find.

SOUTHBEND!!!!!!!!!!!

best clucthes ever made. my sup was 600hp and this clutch took 1 drag event, 1 track event and a few burnouts and came off the car looking like new. also did i mention it drives exactly like stock?! best money ever spent. expect to pay though £600-£800 for it delivered which is cheap compared to other clutches out there which dont offer half the comforts!

SOUTHBEND!!!!!!!!!!!

best clucthes ever made. my sup was 600hp and this clutch took 1 drag event, 1 track event and a few burnouts and came off the car looking like new. also did i mention it drives exactly like stock?! best money ever spent. expect to pay though £600-£800 for it delivered which is cheap compared to other clutches out there which dont offer half the comforts!

Thanks for the info fella.

Do u have any idea where i can find one of these clutch kits in the uk

I just bought the 6-speed N/A cylinder, to see if that will help the problem.(Fitting it tomorrow) Else I am replacing the master cylinder and having the whole install rechecked.

Let me know how you get on with this dude. I have the same problem with the Southbend. It's fine from cold, but the hotter it gets (i.e. the longer I drive) the harder 1st and Reverse become (sometimes 2nd too). To the point where after a 45 min. drive home from work, I can sometimes be sat outside my house wrestling with gear stick, using both hands, for about 5 mins to get it into reverse. Driving me round the (south) bend now as the rest of the car is working well!

Other than that, yes, the Southbend feels great. Really close to stock feel and stock biting point, yet no hint of slipping under the power at all.

Competition Clutch Stage 4 6 pad sprung will work perfect for you. £533 + VAT and available next day if needed. They also have a UK dept setup so "if" there are any problems its a lot easier to sort out than having to go back and forward across the pond. I've been selling them for about a year now and never had a problem with them.

Competition Clutch Stage 4 6 pad sprung will work perfect for you. £533 + VAT and available next day if needed. They also have a UK dept setup so "if" there are any problems its a lot easier to sort out than having to go back and forward across the pond. I've been selling them for about a year now and never had a problem with them.

Thanks Paul maybe in contact soon

Any opinions on the TRD single plate clutch and pressure plate for a BPU car? When I finally get my Supra I am planning to fit this clutch as well as a brand new OEM flywheel.

I also want to get the TRD LSD in as I plan to go for a few drag strip visits..

Will the TRD clutch be able to handle this sort of abuse? Including hard launching from the line with semi slicks? (BFs or Toyo R888's)?

yeah sorry it a J-spec 6 speed BPU but going single soon. looking for somthing around 600BHP mark so will need a clutch that can handle that with maybe some more to give

Are you definitely going single and how soon?

At BPU levels I would just run a stock clutch.