The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New suspension bushes advice

johnny g

Seeing as I'm going up the power of the car considerably, I want to get the suspension working as well as possible. So, I've tried reading up as much as possible.

I've heard people say that polybushing isn't as good as OEM, then others say it is.

I've looking to overhaul everything, apart from the ARB's as they were renewed with the Titan ARB's about a year back.

So, any advice on what to go for and what I need to purchase? Thanks in advance.

Seeing as I'm going up the power of the car considerably, I want to get the suspension working as well as possible.

In that case replace with OEM parts, the stock arms use spherical bearings as opposed to simple rubber bushes. Fitting poly bushes may be an improvement over worn out arms, but would be a downgrade compared to all brand new OEM components.

Everyone I know who has replaced the OEM suspension components, has raved about the improvement it made to the ride, handling and grip. I was shocked at just how much of a difference it made to mine, the best money I ever spent on my car.

Ian's write up HERE is worth reading.

Given time and patience you can convert lots of stock parts to rod ends or spherical bearings. You need to find out what loadings are likely and what size and quality ends you need, but if you have a mind to it's possible to make some unique bits. Here is the lower front link from my 2 wheel drive Skyline when I converted it. I won't do other peoples as anything can be broken and people love to sue these days ;)

DSC01547.jpg

Many of them are none linear in their compliance though and quite clever in how they work.

I can totally side with Chris on this.

I was amazed at the level of design that went into making the OEM bushes.

It was very clear to see the detail as I mangled most of them to make way for my Super Pro set-up.:)

FWIW the Super Pro kits I fitted did transform the behaviour of the car which leads me to think that the stock bushes were even more shagged than I originally thought.

But I bow to the experience and suggestions of the above posters as they have far more road time in a Supra than I. Mine is a track toy only so whats good for me may not suit a road based project.

OEM it is!

Anyone have an exhaustive list of part numbers for these?

Pretty sure ian's link above will have.

I'm fitting an R2 bush kit in a cheap attempt to solve a knocking issue. If I had the spare cash i would go with a full new setup, but I bet it's in the region of £2.5k now, sure it was over £2k when Ian did it

OK here are some rough prices. I am sure there would be room for negotiation:

(These are for a pre facelift, you can double the price of each of the arms for a facelift!!)

Front upper arm £167.39

Front lower arm £236.54

Front anti roll bar drop link £56.99

Rear upper arm £264.82

Rear lower arm £148.50

Rear toe link £91.83

Rear strut rod £88.05

Rear anti roll bar £45.24

Therefore without new bolt etc that comes to a rough cost of £ 2198.72.

Why are the facelift arms so much more expensive?

Was just looking at this myself. I am only going by prices from the Whifbitz website. It might just be the front lower suspension arm that is different. This is separately listed and is quoted at £428 each.

Still its a lot more than the pre facelift and combined a set will cost you £856 on their own.....:blink:

No doubt somebody can come and clear this up for us.

48610-19025 Front Upper Arm - RH x 1

48630-19025 Front Upper Arm - LH x 1

48068-14080 Front Lower Arm - RH x 1

48069-14080 Front Lower Arm - LH x 1

48820-24010 Front drop link x 2

52271-14080 Rear Mount Bush x 2

52205-14040 Rear Mount Bush RR-RH x 1

52206-14030 Rear Mount Bush RR-LH x 1

52272-14040 Rear Upper Mount Bush x 1

48770-19025 Rear Upper Arm - RH x 1

48790-19025 Rear Upper Arm - LH x 1

48780-14030 Rear Lower Link x 2

48730-14040 Rear Lower Arm - RH x 1

48740-14070 Rear Lower Arm - LH x 1

48725-14070 Rear Lower Arm Bush x 2

48710-14110 Rear Arm Assembly x 2

48830-14050 Rear drop link - Left x 1

48840-14030 Rear drop link - Right x 1

It may well be expensive but it will be a worthy investment in the long run. As for the facelift/pre facelift, dandan wrote in his build thread that a couple of the suspension arms had beefier bushes so he swapped for those so I don't see why pre facelift wouldn't fit in replacement. Its not like the suspension was totaly overhauled and different from original.

I would spherical bearing them like Chris said. You can get rubber boot seals that stop ingress getting in and scoring the internal surfaces. I've seen a MKIII Supra Group A setup done by TTE and it looked quite straight forward.

Fraser McKellar at Mckellar motorsport should be able to point you to someone who does this sort of work or may have genuine TTE parts kicking about or know where to get some.

I would spherical bearing them like Chris said. You can get rubber boot seals that stop ingress getting in and scoring the internal surfaces. I've seen a MKIII Supra Group A setup done by TTE and it looked quite straight forward.

Fraser McKellar at Mckellar motorsport should be able to point you to someone who does this sort of work or may have genuine TTE parts kicking about or know where to get some.

Surely by the time you've modified the arms to take spherical joints + the cost of the joints you might as well have just bought new arms from Toyota.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)