The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Amp Install

Matt H

Following on from this thread:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=225248&highlight=amp

My amp is now installed. It wouldn't fit under passenger seat in place of the stock amp due to it being slightly larger, so it had to go in the boot.

When I first bought my Rainbow speakers, I was told that to get the most out them, I should buy an amp as there wouldn’t be enough juice being put out from the head unit to realise their potential. I was a bit dubious to be honest, so left it for a while, thinking in the back of my mind whether one would make much difference. When Joe was selling his Kenwood, I thought why not.

Well, my Auto Elec chap was around this weekend and we installed the amp to see if there would be any improvements with boosting the Rainbow Components upfront and the rainbow Co-Axials in the rear...

...And Christ was there! I couldn’t believe the difference it made! Before the amp, I turned up the volume to a certain limit and the speakers crackled. I thought this was because the speakers were at their limit, but how I was wrong. There just wasn’t enough juice going into them to make them any louder, but now, I can crank them up probably a third higher again and the sound is still very crisp. I doubt I’ll ever turn it up to its full potential from now on as it’s just too loud. Very pleased and I’d highly recommend anyone to Amp there new speakers if they are decent ones. I also don’t think I’d buy anything but Rainbow speakers in the future now.

Here’s a link to Rainbows UK site for the speakers:

http://www.rainbowincar.co.uk/index.php

And this is the amp I’m using:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/113/h113XXV03A-f_mtp.jpg

no pics of the install?

Not much to show really, its all very neat and tidy :) I'll put some up though.

I'll direct people to this thread when they are convinced that their stock HU will be enough for their speakers :-)

Glad you are now realising the full potential of Rainbow

Indeed, such a difference :)