The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car Battery loosing charge.

Brazil

Hi guys,

My optimus yellow top battery was dead after returning from a 5 weeks trip. I tested if the car´s altenator was charging before buying a new very expensive optimus red top battery. I´ve had it in the car for about 1 week and today when I went to start the car it was dead I got it going by jump starting it in reverse.

There was a storm last night and there was a lot of rain do you think the rain is pouring in from the vents on my bonnet and messing up my eletrics? has anybody has had this problem before?

Many Thanks

I've read and heard a lot of horror stories about optima batteries. I have a red one and I'm not sure if it has given up the ghost too (under warranty though).

If they are left to die, it can be hard to bring them back to life again.

Hi guys,

My Optima yellow top battery was dead after returning from a 5 weeks trip. I tested if the car´s altenator was charging before buying a new very expensive Optima red top battery. I´ve had it in the car for about 1 week and today when I went to start the car it was dead I got it going by jump starting it in reverse.

There was a storm last night and there was a lot of rain do you think the rain is pouring in from the vents on my bonnet and messing up my eletrics? has anybody has had this problem before?

Many Thanks

Yeah, sounds like a short to ground. High humidity and obviously water will leak the power somewhere eventually. I had my Optima red top in the Supra and it would run low after a few days of short trips to work and especially if left standing for a week. The alarm will drain it too, of course.

From being almost unable to crank the engine, it charged right up after a 10 mile drive and the charger said it was full within a few seconds of connecting it.

Perhaps these batteries are best for regular long journeys, despite the deep cycling claims?

I'd say that your alarm is the culprit. Have you got a microwave proximity sensor? My Sigma S30 has one and I reckon it must drain it a fair amount.

I can leave my Toyota supplied battery for a month and the car turns over and starts no problem.

I couldn't do it with any battery I have had. Alarm with microwave drains it in a week... maybe just over. Red top doesn't last any longer surprisingly.

Guest blueangel

my yellow top is drained too its been barely used for ages now but i need the sealed battery as its in the boot now, it also wont take a charge so im guessing its proper dead lol

i have the same problem, i have no alarm and a toyota battery. leave it just over a week and i have to jump start it. it constantly pisses me off.

Thanks for that, what's your address and are you out for a few hours? :D

Don't worry, I'll bring my own battery and leads!

Hmm, it would appear I have a current draw from somewhere then.

I have had a stock battery, a calcium battery and now a red-top Optima. All very similar lifespans when left in my garage for a week or 2.

My old Toyota battery used to last a week and then be totally flat, no dash lights anything.

I checked the alternator etc then fitted a new battery supplied by Toyota, the last time my car was left without being run was for approx 3 weeks and it fired up no problem.

i have the same problem, i have no alarm and a toyota battery. leave it just over a week and i have to jump start it. it constantly pisses me off.

you can get little solar pannels that connect to the battery and help maintain the charge when car is sat around, i have one on mine and it works quite well,

Personally I think there is a lot of hype around certain fashionable automotive batteries, especial if they get deep cycled, the materials use in them are just not to to the job. I have a 28AH battery, that is probably 1/10 to 1/20 of the capacity of popular full size batteries used in the MKIV. It sits with an alarm on for up to three weeks without use and then will give powerful multiple starts if required. My car had not been started for two weeks before going to Pod yesterday I had problems starting the car and must have pulled on the starter for seven or eight separate attempts to start. Not once did the battery feel like it was beginning to weaken. At this time of year when demands on the battery increase, it is always a good idea to leave the battery on a float charger, then you can be sure not to deep cycle it.

Personally I think there is a lot of hype around certain fashionable automotive batteries, especial if they get deep cycled, the materials use in them are just not to to the job. I have a 28AH battery, that is probably 1/10 to 1/20 of the capacity of popular full size batteries used in the MKIV. It sits with an alarm on for up to three weeks without use and then will give powerful multiple starts if required. My car had not been started for two weeks before going to Pod yesterday I had problems starting the car and must have pulled on the starter for seven or eight separate attempts to start. Not once did the battery feel like it was beginning to weaken. At this time of year when demands on the battery increase, it is always a good idea to leave the battery on a float charger, then you can be sure not to deep cycle it.

I only went for red-top for one reason... it's red and fits in my battery cage lol.

Heard lots of horror stories about the optima batteries but went with it anyway. I think I'll just paint a stock one next time :D

There is obviously something wrong, have you done any checks such as is the alternator actually charging it enough.

How old is your battery ? They don't last forever and if you can't find anything wrong with the car i'd splash out £40 and go get a new o/e one from Toyota

Hi gusy,

I've checked the altenator and it's working, the problem actually fixed it self for a day but now it's craping out again. I am suspecting that it maybe be a loose wire, my neon lights have latetly started to work 'though it's not something that I would use'. I am going to try to follow the wires and investigate that.

Any other suggestions guys, would connecting my diognosis link might help find the problem?

There is obviously something wrong, have you done any checks such as is the alternator actually charging it enough.

How old is your battery ? They don't last forever and if you can't find anything wrong with the car i'd splash out £40 and go get a new o/e one from Toyota

i thouroughly reccomend halfrauds for batteries, 3 year guarantee and due to low staff retention they dont get suspicious of you comming in regularly to swap batteries you have knackered by letting them uncharage (by not using your car often enough) then recharging from flat repeatedly, :D

i thouroughly reccomend halfrauds for batteries, 3 year guarantee and due to low staff retention they dont get suspicious of you comming in regularly to swap batteries you have knackered by letting them uncharage (by not using your car often enough) then recharging from flat repeatedly, :D

used to be 5 years....have they changed their policy now?

Their equivalent for a uk spec supra battery was £86 when i last looked, why would you pay twice as much as you can buy it from Toyota for ?