The mkiv Supra Owners Club

handbrake adjustment issues :(

JODY T

Ive just replaced my hub for a good used one, Ive come to set the handbrake back up and it just wont adjust up..

Now ive done this job many a time with no issues so im stumped..

I can adjust the pads so they lock the wheels, then loosen them untill the disk rotates.. However the disk will rotate for ever going forward but will lock up in reverse? (It moves for a bit then locks) Ive totally slackened off the adjustment but it still locks up in reverse..

Ive removed the disk as i thought maybe the diff was locking it up but its not it will move eitherway forever (Although it does get a bit tighter after a time but still moves freely)

ive been on this for hours now and it doesnt seem that any configuration will work..

Ive looked at all the bits inside and can see nothing missing, bent, worn (badly etc) and it worked perfectly before but the bearing was shot.(i say shot it had a little play.) Could it be that the disk is not round anymore due to the bearing being shot? but that still doesnt explain why its only in reverse that it locks..

Anyone have this problem before and cured it? dont really want to go buying disks and pads etc if i dont need them moneys a bit tight ATM..

Any help greatly appreciated, (fix and sell is in my mind more and more and thats not good)

Edited by JODY T (see edit history)

Think i might have it, one of the pins was a little stretched ive bent it back to the correct length using the staight pin as a guide, i think i had the blue and pink springs round the wrong way too..

just put it all back together and it spins correctly but the adjustment is a little out, the drivers binds before the pass side..

Ill readjust the pass to match the drivers and hope

Ill check back here later to let u know

• 3 years later...

Bit of a thread revival here! I'm having the same problems as Jody, the disk will rotate forward but locks up when turning backwards.

Any ideas what this could be? I have just replaced the wheel bearing and did all the work myself except disassemble/reassemble the hub and press the bearing in. Local garage did that and I'm wondering if they put the hub back together properly? They did seem to strugle with it a bit and not sure if the above symptoms point to anything obvious.

Cheers guys!

Cheers Pig.

Managed to get it sorted though by taking the disk off, slackening the cable right off and starting again. Must have just been a stupid moment when I put it together the first time! When I think back, it was probably because I didn't loosen the cable right off before putting the disc on. All seems good now :)