The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BW 9179 Rolling Road Plots?

dandan

Has anyone had a 9179 turbo'd car on the rollers with stock cams in a manual car?

I'm trying to figure out how it compares to some of the Precision stuff but the only SRR printout I've seen from SRR with stock cams is Glenn's but that's an auto.

Cheers

Dan

This is what I have so far....

Ryan's is the oddball really as his cylinder head has had some work so not really a fair comparison.

I've stuck your 67DBB 1.5bar run in there for comparison...I'm trying to decide if I want to try a different turbo but my setup is hard to compare to as it spools different to any normal kits and it's hard to make comparisons....your one here is the same tubby as mine but obviously on the tubular manifold.

9179.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

Go big or go home .... Gt47-80 :D

During winter, I'll go for a GReddy intake plenum .. and for a remap to 1.8-1.9 bar next spring. Would like to see how close I can get my 91-79 to your setup (power-wise) ;):D

I have E85 in mind, but not sure how much more this will bring at 2 bar over 1.8 bar on VPower !!??

Thanks for the info Jamie.

I have only one issue, which is that I need to get my 850cc back in once a year for MOT emission tests, as Ryan thought 1200-1500cc won't idle nice on VPower ( I would like to have 2 maps ; one for E85 and most of the time, and a VPower map for MOT)

Thanks for the info Jamie.

I have only one issue, which is that I need to get my 850cc back in once a year for MOT emission tests, as Ryan thought 1200-1500cc won't idle nice on VPower ( I would like to have 2 maps ; one for E85 and most of the time, and a VPower map for MOT)

High imp injectors such as ID2000 will idle like stock.

During winter, I'll go for a GReddy intake plenum .. and for a remap to 1.8-1.9 bar next spring. Would like to see how close I can get my 91-79 to your setup (power-wise) ;):D

I have E85 in mind, but not sure how much more this will bring at 2 bar over 1.8 bar on VPower !!??

Yeah E85 will help u loads. Thats why the yanks get such good figures.

You Should get well into the 700's mate.

To be honest if i change my set up again i would go huge:

GT47-80, built engine, solaris and of course a manual set up :)

Very similar, if the 67 had cams they would be much the same i suspect, not worth the change imo, if you want more power id go bigger, billet 7175 looks a superb turbo.

The 7175 is probably a bit big for me but I'd need to see some comparative plots to a cast 67DBB to decide for sure. My potential shortlist so far is:

9179 0.88 undivided

6765 0.96 undivided (to avoid the apparent surge issues with the 0.81 and stock cams - no doubt this would be even more apparent on mine as it spools extremely fast anyway)

But to be honest I'm only doing it out of curiousity, the car is great as it is especially after the recent remap but I can't help trying new things :D

Dan, I also run 264s...

Thanks Glenn, am I right to think your one is an auto?

Has anyone had a 9179 turbo'd car on the rollers with stock cams in a manual car?

I'm trying to figure out how it compares to some of the Precision stuff but the only SRR printout I've seen from SRR with stock cams is Glenn's but that's an auto.

Cheers

Dan

Have a read through my turbo kit thread, I tested the turbo on one of my manifolds on a stock engine.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=181671&page=15

Thanks Paul - that is exactly what I was after. I remember seeing those plots at the time but for some reason I ignored the 9179 and only took notice of the 8875.

This is how it compares to my non billet 67DBB when it was breathing through the pea shooter exhaust...

...the 9179 actually just eeks ahead around 4750rpm but it looks like I'd want a bigger turbine housing on it to keep up with the Precision turbo above 5500rpm - I suppose that's not a major problem but I wouldn't want to drop too much off the bottom end. Once I've rerun mine next month at SRR with the new exhaust I think I'd like to try the same 0.88 undivided 9179 that Ryan has and see how that compares. :D

comp2.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)