The mkiv Supra Owners Club

18", 19"? wheels offsets and sizes!! Pls HELP!!!

MR_TRD

Hi Guys

I did a couple of searches and didn't come up with much that didn't really answer what im looking for or confused the hell outta me.

I'm looking at buying new wheels.

I have standard brakes which i want to upgrade to 6POT 14" Wilwood in the front and 4POT 13" wilwoods in the rear.

Firstly what do you guys recommend? 18's or 19's?What will fit the brakes?

Secondly whichever i choose what should the width of the wheel be as well as the offset?

AND, what i think is last, what kind of clearance do i need for those size of brakes?

ATM i have Enkei Aegis Grown-up style, 8J 235 45 17 in front and 9J 255 40 17 in the rear. No idea what the offsets are.

Please will you help me guys. i'm quite a technical minded person but a few years ago buying mags was buying mags, now i have to do all the research on it.

I appreciate it guys and when Supranature is down here in Oct/ Nov i will send back Amarula and Biltong :D:D

So many options, depends on what sort of fitment you want, some like a close to stock 50 offset, others like the wheels pushed out as far as they can and roll the arches etc.

18" or 19" is up to you, depends what you like the look off.

These threads will give you an idea on what works.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429834

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558091

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

18" better for handling. 19" more for looks. Altho i had 19's on my old car and they were fine.

As Jamie said what kinda look do u want? Wide arse agressive or stock? Stock is 50 offset. Each size nearer to 0 will push the wheel out another mm.

A lot of people will run a 9.5 or 10" wide wheel with a 35 offset for best looks and minimal/none archwork.

Some wheels are known for good brake caliper clearance, like the Volks TE37. If getting 3 piece wheels ask for the maximum brake clearance on fronts. Rears doesnt matter so i personally always choose big lip and next to no brake clearance. :)

So many options, depends on what sort of fitment you want, some like a close to stock 50 offset, others like the wheels pushed out as far as they can and roll the arches etc.

18" or 19" is up to you, depends what you like the look off.

These threads will give you an idea on what works.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429834

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558091

I have a weak spot for that 1st thread :cool:

Jamesy - I now understand offset! Thanks mate. I wish i could get TE37's but they are really really expensive. So you would say an 8.5J Offset? front and 9.5/10J +35 Rear?

Nic - They rims are basically being custom made for me, so I just need to tell them what the sizes and offsets are.

JamieP - Will the 18" rims fit the 14" Discs in the front? That was my first concern. But then also i have to find out the width of the calipers...