The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My new Supra project

j_jza80

Hey guys, just thought I'd start a thread about my current project.

It started a few months ago when I decided I wanted a cheap RWD car. I budgeted myself circa £2k, but found at this price level there was nothing I really felt enthusiastic about. I'd dismissed Supras at this price level, but tried various BMWs and Nissans and decided that they weren't for me.

If I was to get something I really wanted, I'd have to up my budget, so I pushed it up to £4k, which was enough for a nice 200sx :cool:

However, just after this a VERY nice RSP 6 speed NA Supra appeared on auto trader for £3.5k, which I thought was a bargain. It sold before I got in contact with the seller, however it re appeared on the net within hours for a new price of £5k. I missed out on it again, but the seller offered to sell me his 6 speed NA for £4k. It was a nice colour (black) but had a Vielside kit and a tacky blue retrim/seat cover arrangement that I hated. The seller then backed out on the sale :(

At this point, I found a lovely, stock (bar the alloys) 1998 6 speed NA in White, complete with OEM bodykit and optional Recaros. It was advertised for £6.5k, but negotiated a fair amount off that price and left a deposit :)

This is it, sat on my drive

I will get some better pictures up, but I'm waiting for some bits and pieces first :)

Ok, a few more...

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

First of all, the car had a stick on carbon trim allover the dash board :(

This had to go ASAP.

After removing the dash panels, and carefully removing the trim with th aide of a hair dryer, I was left with this

After some more use of said hair dryer, and a blistered thumb, I was left with this

There's some remnants left, but they will be removed before the dash is refitted :)

I also received some mail, courtesy of LeeP of SRD :)

These are speaker brackets for the front. I could have knocked up a set myself, but at £35 plus postage it's not really worth the effort. Plus, Lees are very well finished. Thanks for the great service and speedy delivery Lee :)

I've just secured some tasty bits for this, thanks to Bignum :) in the shape of a set of 18" BBS LM wheels finished in gunmetal, and an active spoiler lip :cool:

I may end up going gold spokes with the wheels, not sure yet. Pics up at the weekend after I collect them.

I'll be getting the bottom part of the front bumper done in White, and leave the active spoiler black. I want it to semi resemble this:

Looks a nice car mate, so whats the plans then? :)

Not entirely decided yet. I purposely went for the six speed for 2 reasons:

1) engine transplant potential

2) will be relatively safe from depreciation, due to the value of the gearbox.

There will definitely be an engine transplant on the cards in the not too distant future. Whatever engine it is, it WILL be single turbo.

I'm quite liking the idea of a single turbo, VVTI 1JZ, decent power, response and economy.

However, I'm going to get in touch with the traders regarding this as I'm going to pay

someone to fit it for me.

I've already got a mechanical/electrical project in the shape of

my MK1 Golf GTi :)

Dashboard done for tonight. Removed the majority of the sticky backing, and applied dash shine. Will continue with this next week :)

My next plan for the interior is to get the Recaros retrimmed in leather (will be giving you a shout shortly Jurgen :) )

Should look a bit like this:

Thinking about going black leather, with black stitching and the Recaro logo embroidered in black too, just to keep it all subtle :)

What are the other plans?

As and when I can afford it:

- either AP, Alcon or Brembo brake setup (not keen on KAD, D2 etc TBH)

- Full TRD transmission/diff/engine mounts and TRD diff (my old car had this setup, and it was fantastic)

- undecided suspension, will likely take the car to CW for him to spec a good, road biased setup and fit.

- engine, see next post

- looks wise, I'm almost there :)

I'd quite like some opinions/feedback/advice on which engine I should go with.

The car will predominantly be a roadcar, so I reckon between 500-600hp (flywheel) should be sufficient, plus it takes away the expense of a built block.

I'd quite like to keep the setup simple, so I'm thinking a small single (much like my last one) would be perfect, perhaps with a bit mote poke.

As it's going to be a full transplant (not even considering NA-T), and be relatively restrained power wise, I think a VVTI lump would be perfect.

I'm yet to see a VVTI 1JZ fitted with a 6 speed box, so this option is very appealing to me' at the moment, especially considering how cheap they are compared to 2JZs. Even at 500+ hp I should be able to retain much of the stock fuel system, and the stock engine will cope with ease (apparently)

A while ago, one of our members (may have been Johnny G :) ) put me' in touch with a garage in Durham (can't remember thier name for the life of me) called Woodsport, who reckon they could fit a full LPG system that would be well suited to a single, for around £2k. This Is appealing, but as yet I'm undecided.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, have the LMs sat in the garage, just waiting on some new wheel nuts arriving.

I've just taken delivery of some smoked front fog lights, and some clear filters to replace the amber ones in my rear lights.

Next plans are a new front bumper (stock, spraying the whole lot white (inc bottom part) and deleting the facelift bumper repeaters. Then all I need to do is fit my active lip, and thats the exterior done for now.

Then its big brake kit time :eyebrows: (hopefully RobSheffield will still have his Brembos for sale when I get the funds together :) )

• 2 months later...

Wow, I really need to pull my finger out! :D

The car's been garaged during the bad weather, as i've had access to some other tasty motors :)

I'm picking her up tommorow, so i'll give her a good clean and get some pics up. I fitted the BBS LMs to her just before parking her up, but otherwise nothings changed. Unfortunately funds are fairly tight at the moment, so progress will be slow :(

Due to Chris Wilsons new stainless UK caliper pins, I think i'm going to give UKs a go, probably with stock pads and discs to start with. At least I know they will fit behind the BBS wheels, thanks to Bignum :D

I've also managed to secure a pre facelift front bumper, thanks to MATT_RR, so I think i'll get the whole bumper sprayed, and then fit my active spoiler lip.

Just out of interest, can anyone tell me if theres any difference between pre/post facelift bumpers? (other than the indicators and vent bar)

I gave her a good exterior clean today :) Not the best of weather for photos...

She's certainly getting there externally :) I just need to get the CW suspension ordered, when I have the funds. I may even run some small spacers.

As said before, plans now are to get the bottom of the front bumper sprayed, then fit the active spoiler. I'm really swaying towards respraying the wheels, with gold centres and silver (not polished) rims.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been doing a bit more work to her this week :)

I took her to get the rear suspension arms looked at (due to Alex-M, thanks :) ) and found the bolts for the rear arms to be very tight. Rather than risk damage to the arms, and potentially have to wait for new parts to arrive, i've ordered some tidy second hand arms which will be going on the car, along with a full geo check :)

The central locking also decided to pack up earlier this week. This was down to a sensor on the back of the lock barrel, which has now been cleaned up. A bonus for this job is that the remote central locking has decided to start working now :) I assumed the remote was dud, but it must have been a bad connection in the door. I had to remove the door handle and lock to do this, so while the door card was off, i've decided to install some Phoenix gold speakers i've had sat around, along with some of SRDs speaker brackets. I'll get some pics of this up, most likely when work on it resumes next week.

I also took the oportunity to have a look at my aerial relay, as the aerial wasn't working. A poorly connected cable has now been rectified, and it works perfectly now :)

I've sold my Recaro seats now too, so will have some stock black leather seats in soon :)

That's about it, other than the car's going into the bodyshop soon to have some minor work done (just the odd chip etc, and a small rust stain) I'm also going to be either respraying my BBS LMs, or selling them and buying some tatty ones that need refurbing. I want either Gold, bronze or copper centres, with silver rims. I haven't decided yet :)

I'm now on the lookout for some brakes. I've put a wanted up for some UK brakes. I'm only going with these due to CW producing some new parts for them (pistons and pins) that will make maintainence MUCH easier.

Just got back from having the geo done, they didn't need the new arms (second hand) in the end, they managed to free the original ones. They commented on how good the camber was, didn't even need tweeking, the rear toe needed some adjustment though. They also commented on how good the condition of the suspension bushes was, on both the new arms and the existing ones. Needless to say, i'll be keeping the new arms incase they're ever needed.

A big thanks to Neil (big neil *LSD*) for speedy delivery and brilliant parts, for a very reasonable price :)

Now onto the important part. I was suprised how different the car felt after the toe adjustment, it just feels completely planted now. It wasn't bad before, but it was definately worth while for £70.