The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Johnny's HKS Twins Project

johnny g

Having bought the HKS Twins from Dmitri, I'm just planning out the most efficient route to getting them on the car with the supporting mods. I'm happy for any pointers, opinion, etc. I'm treating this as a step by step process, rather than just doing it all at once.

The car is currently BPU (Chris Wilson decat, RR, Greddy Sidemount, Walbro pump, RPS Street Puk Clutch). I've planned on doing a few things and then always backed out, for one reason or another (like holidays mainly). So, the car has been a bit neglected in the upgrades department, so it's time to address that.

- The first thing for me to have done, I think is swap the Walbro for a Bosch 044 and remove the Fuel Pulsation Dampner.

- The second is to get the Syvecs ECU installed, with the drop in 800cc injectors I bought from Jamie (mapped into TTC mode). Both of these will be done by Christmas 2010.

- The third will be the installation of the twin kit, by Hodge, in Jan 2011, along with an a big FMIC, oil cooler and new radiator. With the setup the car will have then, I'll be able to drive it home/to the RR where Ryan can remap, for about 1.2-1.4bar.

- The fourth will be in the installation of a built VVTi head, another remap - and so on

I inted to drive the car around for a couple of months between stages, so I can see how it feels in real world conditions, etc.

I'll keep this thread updated, and I'm sure Hodge will take some photos of the build when it's in-progress.

EDIT: Please don't ask for spares from BPU yet!

Build thred here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?238479-Johnny-HKS-Twin-Build-thread

Edited by johnny g (see edit history)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds very exciting mate bet you cant wait to get cracking.

I'd ask Lee for some pointers, his big twin set up is one of the very best.

You'll be in safe hands with Hodge - at least we wont be short of pics!!

What kind of BHP goal do u have for it when finished?

It is exciting. I was losing the love at little with the modifying, and I like to be a bit different, and going single was losing it's appeal as I'd be the same as a few people (I'm not knocking singles at all!), etc.

I've PM'd Lee a few times, but don't want to hassle him - I'm off to see Hodge on Sat to talk about things, so I'll get some questions together and maybe ask Lee closer to the time, or even during the installation...

HP wise, well, for the first installation, I'm hoping to come out with 500-600 on the low boost and when the built head is on, we can maybe push for 600-650. I appreciate this is probably aiming low, but if you aim low, you're rarely disappointed!

I don't think I'll be chasing Lee and Jamie (or yourself) just yet!

It is exciting. I was losing the love at little with the modifying, and I like to be a bit different, and going single was losing it's appeal as I'd be the same as a few people (I'm not knocking singles at all!), etc.

I've PM'd Lee a few times, but don't want to hassle him - I'm off to see Hodge on Sat to talk about things, so I'll get some questions together and maybe ask Lee closer to the time, or even during the installation...

HP wise, well, for the first installation, I'm hoping to come out with 500-600 on the low boost and when the built head is on, we can maybe push for 600-650. I appreciate this is probably aiming low, but if you aim low, you're rarely disappointed!

I don't think I'll be chasing Lee and Jamie (or yourself) just yet!

Sounds great mate - i like the idea of getting the car back after each stage to feel the difference. Thats one thing you cant get when you do a single conversion - you go from 400ish bhp -----> 500/600/700bhp in a flash!!

Yeah 600 is definitely setting the goal posts low with that set up, but at least you know theres loads more left in it (like 350bhp more lol)

Either way it will look the b0ll0x when fitted, and as you say it will be a bit different to the normal set ups :)

Nice one Johnny. :)

I would probably do the head before the twin install though if possible, otherwise you'll have to strip it all off again to fit the VVTI head. Whilst not the end of the world, just a job you wouldn't have to do if you did it first.

Best of luck!

I suppose I could see about having that done together. It's another question to ask Hodge :)

knew you bought the kit! its going to be an awesome project! subscribed!

I hope so.

Are these turbos bigger than the ones Lee has?

thought they were same mate - GT2835's

They're the GT3037's, so yea, slightly bigger than the ones Lee has.

looking forward to following this as its something away from the norm.:thumbs:

Cheers :)

thought they were same mate - GT2835's

Just looked at the forsale thread and it says 3037's.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=229138&highlight=dimitri

IMO you are wasting your time fitting them to a stock engine, you need a huge rev limit, ive driven cars with big twins (Lee P's) and you deffinatly need the revs. with a 7200rpm limit your power band will be tiny mate.

Just looked at the forsale thread and it says 3037's.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=229138&highlight=dimitri

IMO you are wasting your time fitting them to a stock engine, you need a huge rev limit, ive driven cars with big twins (Lee P's) and you deffinatly need the revs. with a 7200rpm limit your power band will be tiny mate.

Yea, it's going to be done in stages dude. I can evaluate how it goes and how I like it, and ultimately whether it'll be worth going 3.4 or not.

I like the challenge of doing something different.