The mkiv Supra Owners Club

pros and cons on carbon fibre bonnet

monza786

hi i thinking on having a carbon fibre bonnet with some vents in the front,what are the advantages of carbonfibre other than weight and will it get damaged easily with stone chips if so how easy is it to repair,basicly im having three tone flip paint full body respray with do luck front bumper veilside side skirts with spoiler i havent decided on yet but i cant decide wether to go for carbon fibre bonnet or not,normally id ask the missus when i cant make a decision lol but in this circumstance she aint intersted lol

i need to give the bodyshop an answer asap help guys.

colour of flippaint is tvr tuscan 3tone

hi i thinking on having a carbon fibre bonnet with some vents in the front,what are the advantages of carbonfibre other than weight and will it get damaged easily with stone chips if so how easy is it to repair,basicly im having three tone flip paint full body respray with do luck front bumper veilside side skirts with spoiler i havent decided on yet but i cant decide wether to go for carbon fibre bonnet or not,normally id ask the missus when i cant make a decision lol but in this circumstance she aint intersted lol

i need to give the bodyshop an answer asap help guys.

colour of flippaint is tvr tuscan 3tone

TBH mate I wouldn't bother with the bonnet, the bumper, the veilside skirts or the flip tone paint.

Each to their own but if you look at the members' cars here the majority of the decent looking ones are pretty much unmolested on the outside save the alloys.

I'd stick to Toyota skirts and the stock bonnet and spoiler.

If you're going for a respray IMO gun metal grey is a good colour and you can't really go wrong with black either.

You will see some Supras that look great with aftermarket body parts but it's hard to get it right.

Too many end up looking like chav mobiles.

A CF hood will look out of place on a car with flip paint. And if you paint the CF hood, it won't look good without A LOT of work to it, because the CF hood's surfaces are not even. You can't really tell, when they're not painted, but as soon as they are painted, you see the wavey surface.

Stone chips are no problem, when we painted my car we put on new clearcoat to my CF bonnet. If you got scratches, you can sand the clearcoat down and put new one on.

If you don't use hoodpins, the bonnet will lift and move while driving fast. Looks really scary.

TBH don't do flip paint!!! If you want a bodykit, do it, but go with a nice one tone color. If you want CF parts you can get them and they will look good with any one tone color.

£650 is pretty cheap for a carbon bonnet and there is a chance you won't have a perfect fit, if you do go for it, get the people who supply it to fit it as any damage/faults will be their responsability, you can re-do the clear coat if you get scratches or stone chips but any stress fractures will still show through.

Carbon Bonnets (even the cheaper ones) are way lighter than the stock one having replaced mine and lifted both of them on my own.

Bonnet Pins are a must... carbon flexes like hell and I didn't feel safe until I got them fitted. (aero catches look the nuts as well)

As far as the look goes, I got fed up with people asking why my bonnet was a different colour and my mates constantly taking the piss asking if it'd been in an accident :rolleyes: but more annoying than that was the constant ribbing I get for eventually painting a £700 carbon bonnet to match the rest of the car!

Having said that it depends what look your going for, the flip paint, carbon and veilside kit would certainlly go together and get some attention at shows but if your going to be driving the car a lot the type of attention you get isn't always favourable. What kit and paint you end up going for reallly depends on your personal taste but I'd really reccomend doing your research before spending the cash annd make sure you get it fitted at a decent bodyshop as the last thing you want are stress cracks and wonnky gaps.

Personally I don't think you can beat the oem skirts and spoiler or maybe the GReddy one ;) there are loads of front and rear kits that compliment the Supra nicely though, check the threads below to give you some ideas of kits available and you can quickly see how stuff looks on real cars.

Front kits

Rear kits

Side Skirts and Spats

have fun.

Rob

Stay with the OEM bonnet and save yourself some money for something else (i.e seat retrim).

The main purpose of CF composites is to save weight, however there isnt really much weight to be saved over the OEM bonnet.

As mentioned already, £650 will probably get you a CF/GRP combo bonnet that isnt really a weight saver (its made from an outer layer of CF and a layer of glass fibre and bonded to an inner frame made from either CF or black-gel glass fibre).