The mkiv Supra Owners Club

touch up paint advice.

pistonbroke

Some twat overtook me using the hard shoulder the other day and flicked a huge stone up which hit my passenger wing causing a nice chip in the immaculate paintwork.

I've bought the right touch up paint from halfrauds and have had several goes at it, but I can't get it looking any good. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a decent finish with touch up paint?

I'm not an expert with these yet, have done quite a few with good results and am going to dedicate some good time to it once my work area is completed.

But, i would use some IsoPropyl alcohol to clean out the chip of any dirt, old polish/wax etc. Apply the touch up paint very carefully, then use wet and dry paper to sand the blobs of paint down to the same level as existing paint. You will also possibly need to apply lacquer if your touch up paint does not include this. You will obviously be left with sanding marks and you will need a machine polisher to get these out with a heavyish cut compound and a finishing polish to refine. Then apply your chosen wax or sealant.

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

Yeah, will do bud.

I've decided to try one last time, though this time I've painted it so it overlaps the damaged area onto the good paint. Then tomorrow morning I'll try rubbing it down to see what the finish is like. If I'm not satisfied, I'll have to fork out for a proper repair.

Makes my blood boil that this is all down to a feckin impatient idiot :angry:

Some $#@! overtook me using the hard shoulder the other day and flicked a huge stone up which hit my passenger wing causing a nice chip in the immaculate paintwork.

I've bought the right touch up paint from halfrauds and have had several goes at it, but I can't get it looking any good. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a decent finish with touch up paint?

Yeah. stop fart arseing around and let dave do it.

I got some not bad results with touch ups in the past, heres a mates ZX6R ninja after he had some tank damage, we overfilled the chips, wet sanded back and rotary polished (bout 8-10 passes) with megs #80 and #83, also used some poorboys blackhole and finished with megs #16 wax.

Looks alright I think, and it saved him £150 to get it resprayed.

imo its always worth having a go at fixing it if the worst happens and you need to get it resprayed anyway?