The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A question about singles

marc_p

Ok, it looks like I have made up my mind and I want to go single next year, I've been looking at kits on MVPs wbsite but there is only so much you can tell from what they say, I would rather have your opinions on the matter, I think I'll probably be looking at a Boost Logic or PHR kits as these seem most freindly for day to day use with (after hours of youtube research) a seemingly quick spool and not too fast that I will find myself in a hedge, so what I wanted to know is if anyone on here runs either the boost logic(stage 1 or 2) kit or the PHR (stage 1 or 2) kit.

Cheers

Marc

Linky for reference:

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=211&SearchYN=N

Mine is a boostlogic kit, its all good but if i was to do it again i would go with one of the whifbitz kits as they have the option to recirc the wastegate should you wish, I just wish Paul did a 4" downpipe/midpipe option like the boostlogic.

Go with a billet precision turbo is my advice, nothing else come close for power and spool from what ive seen.

I think I'll probably be looking at a Boost Logic or PHR kits as these seem most freindly for day to day use with

They are popular but no friendlier than any other quality single kit. I know from first hand experience there can be issues with the turbo-intercooler IC pipe in the PHR kit not clearing the steering rack on a RHD Supra.

If I was doing it again I'd fit an HKS Single Turbo Setup Kit (complete T4 single kit minus the turbo and is designed to fit a RHD Supra), this would allow you to spec a T4 based turbo of your choice. A Garrett GT35R DBB or T04Z DBB turbo would be my own personal choice for a responsive fast road setup.

They are popular but no friendlier than any other quality single kit. I know from first hand experience there can be issues with the turbo-intercooler IC pipe in the PHR kit not clearing the steering rack on a RHD Supra.

If I was doing it again I'd fit an HKS Single Turbo Setup Kit (complete T4 single kit minus the turbo and is designed to fit a RHD Supra), this would allow you to spec a T4 based turbo of your choice. A Garrett GT35R DBB or T04Z DBB turbo would be my own personal choice for a responsive fast road setup.

I taught the Stage 2 PHR kit was all HKS componets with the Garrett GT35R DBB;

If it was me, I think HKS Componets look to be the ones to get so I would either go with a T04Z DBB HKS Kit or PHR Stage 2 DBB for a street Killer

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

I had the BL manifold, downpipe and wastegate setup with the PHR stage one turbo. The turbo failed, the manifold cracked, it took ages to get it all fitting properly (some of that could have been down to the person fitting it though).

Personally I'd pay a bit more and go for better quality, but then I used my car a lot and quite hard so it needed to be quite hard-wearing. I would say steer clear of PHR turbos though, they seem to be made of cheese. My BW turbo is much better.

I had the BL manifold, downpipe and wastegate setup with the PHR stage one turbo. The turbo failed, the manifold cracked, it took ages to get it all fitting properly (some of that could have been down to the person fitting it though).

Personally I'd pay a bit more and go for better quality, but then I used my car a lot and quite hard so it needed to be quite hard-wearing. I would say steer clear of PHR turbos though, they seem to be made of cheese. My BW turbo is much better.

PHR Setup hype I suppose is all coming from US companies supplying them, PHR are an indigineous company so you would expect profit Margins to be greater on these Units for the US Companies :innocent:

Just something to keep in mind

I taught the Stage 2 PHR kit was all HKS componets with the Garrett GT35R DBB

They use to use the HKS manifold, not sure if they still do or whether it is a copy. The rest of the kit is definitely not HKS and I'm pretty sure the turbo is not a GT35R.

its one of the reasons why for my r35 build i have used japanese turbos (as i know they last and fit too).. as i was really tempted to go USA.

Cheers for all the input guys, I'm taking it all in, looks like it can all be a bit of a minefield, I want to get the right kit so will be putting in quite a bit of research on all this.

So in regard to something like the HKS T04Z, is this a DBB turbo? MVP's website doesn't mention whether it is or not.

Oh, one more question for this morning, am I best off getting the parts individually for a mix and match rather than buying a whole kit?

Cheers

Marc

Here's a generic tip that MIGHT save you a lot of money or headache:

My tip is always ring a company you are buying from wanting a mythical spare part for whatever you are thinking of buying. There wouldn't be a ruck of broken Trust (Quaife) gearboxes about, a raft of leaking and knocking HKS dampers, or HKS dog boxes awaiting bits for months from Japan, if people took this simple step. I have 2 cars here now that have left their owners open to huge bills due to no spares availability for expensive after market units.

Cheers for all the input guys, I'm taking it all in, looks like it can all be a bit of a minefield, I want to get the right kit so will be putting in quite a bit of research on all this.

So in regard to something like the HKS T04Z, is this a DBB turbo? MVP's website doesn't mention whether it is or not.

Oh, one more question for this morning, am I best off getting the parts individually for a mix and match rather than buying a whole kit?

Cheers

Marc

If I was doing it again I'd probably go for something like the T04-Z kit as it seems very well matched for the Supra. The HKS kits are good quality and built for RHD cars.

I'd strongly advise you get a kit rather than mix-and-match for your first single. You can always upgrade later, but everything fitting first time is a HUGE benefit.

Buy a complete kit if you don't like making stuff, or the hassle of having stuff made, make SURE that the turbo itself can be rebuilt or re sized here in the UK for sensible money. I still maintain cast manifolds are the way to go for any engine that is going to be used hard and regularly. Complete kit and cast manifold combination may be tricky however :( If you are unsure of which turbo size buy the smaller! Whatever you think it'll all cost, double it.

Yes, forgot that, if you any inkling about doing track days you MUST have the wastegate recirculate back into the silenced system. If you are buying a new exhaust system at the same time as the kit be sure it is quiet enough for track days, most are not, and there's nothing worse than wondering if you will pass the tests or be going back home.

Yes it's a DBB turbo, The HKS T04Z is made by Garrett for them, it differs from the Garrett T04Z but probably isn't worth the price hike. As I mentioned before HKS sell their kits minus the turbo now, so you could spec your own, be it a Garrett T04Z or other.

I did this, I bought an HKS manifold and wastegate, Garrett GT35R and then built my own kit around these. I knew PHR used the HKS manifold/or copy there of, so used their downpipe and mid pipe because I knew it would fit. I also used their IC pipe but had to butcher and weld this to make it fit. The rest such as filter, oil lines, water lines, gaskets, etc. I sourced separately.

It worked out a bit cheaper, I enjoyed putting the kit together and was able to specify the exact parts I wanted.