The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power Delivery ?

Nodalmighty

How do you like your Power Delivery?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your Power Delivery?

• Stock TT / BPU
    • TTC Parallel Twin
    • Small Single (Nothing below 4k)
    • Large Single (Nothing below 5k)
    • Super charger (Instant boost form 1500k but crap top end performance)
    • Super Charge / Turbo combo (like 5 but with decent Top end performace of a single)
    • Something else (Please Specifiy)

There have been a few posts that have made me rekindle an idea that is nothing new but seems to have been over looked to some degree where Supra's are concerned.

What would be your ideal power delivery?

1) The TT Sequential

2) The TTC parallel (nowt below 3k)

3) The Small single (nowt blow 4k)

4) The Big Single (nowt below 5k)

5) Modern Screw SuperCharger (Instant boost from 1500k maintained to the red line but limited on top end performance).

6) Modern Screw Blower and Big turbo in support (Instant boost from 1500k with monster top end performance)

7) Something else (V8 conversion etc...)

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Big singles dont have to be slow spooling if you have a good setup.

My 76 spools better than a lot of 67's in fact, compare my graph at the bottom to Ian C's 67mm.

http://2bartuning.com/dynographs/showgraph.php

Saying that, i will go with 6, i got some pics of a supercharged/turbocharged setup on the pc if you want them, car Arnout was building iirc.

My 76 spools better than a lot of 67's in fact, compare my graph at the bottom to Ian C's 67mm.

Saying that, i will go with 6, i got some pics of a supercharged/turbocharged setup on the pc if you want them, car Arnout was building iirc.

Yes please, [email protected]. Did it ever get finished?

A 76 is still a small (maybe medium sized turbo). But your power curve is mighty impressive. I note GSC1 cams are unique to this set up and may have had a bearing on it.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

post them on here

the key thing is to match the charger and turbo.

Typically you need a much bigger exhaust A/R when using a supercharger as it develops a lot more exhaust volume. Cam selection is a real bastard as Turbo and Supercharger require different profiles so a V-Tec engine would be ideal.

Twin charged H22 conversion anyone :D

That's right, humiliate me :p

In some defence of my poor old T67, my boost controller was set up badly (and has been for ages) so boost production always tailed off above about 0.8bar :cry: So just as yours starts getting into its stride at 4500rpm and seriously winding up the boost, mine loses interest and is bloody coasting up to 1.4bar :( I have graphs that show it takes about 1.5 to 2 seconds to get from 1 bar to 1.4 - shockingly pants. I think I've finally fixed that by turning off the autolearn feature and setting the feedback thingy to the right value. And other excuses :D

However, I am loving the fact your power line goes through the G of the word "Graph" :)

On subject, I would have said I've got nice shove that comes in at 3500rpm when I'm driving - I'll work through the gears doing 3500 to 4500 short shifts and riding a nice surge of torque each time. But that graph says I'm lying, I've only got 250ft/lbs tops. Interesting.

Also on subject, I find the power delivery of a BPU sequential really quite nasty now. There is an artificial lag of 4000rpm in every gear, waiting for the second turbo to come in. The instanto surge of the first turbo is nice but feels gutless after the initial rush. This is, however, probably just a side effect of running a T67 for years :shrug:

I just don't get these projects that potentially cost a fortune in invested time and parts where the bracketry for the charger is made out of scrap angle iron and office chairs. If you don't have the machining facilities for something proper for God's sake pay someone who has! That stuff in the photos is a total abortion. Jeez, I took more trouble making my crank position sensor mount than he has with something that's got to hold a device consuming many horsepower under load. At least he seems to have some concept of correct belt wrap physics.

I just don't get these projects that potentially cost a fortune in invested time and parts where the bracketry for the charger is made out of scrap angle iron and office chairs. If you don't have the machining facilities for something proper for God's sake pay someone who has! That stuff in the photos is a total abortion. Jeez, I took more trouble making my crank position sensor mount than he has with something that's got to hold a device consuming many horsepower under load. At least he seems to have some concept of correct belt wrap physics.

looking at the belt wrap,would that actually be enough coverage on the alternator

With option 4, Supercharger, why does it have to be crap top end? A good twin screw, like a Whipple/Lysholm provides good top end and so can Centrifugals, it's only the Roots style that blow ( :D ) in the top end?

I love the turbo rush in a road car, but I'm with big N/A or S/C power for a track car.

No, that's not very good, but it's nothing like as power hungry as the `charger. He could run a toothed belt for the w/pump and alternator, in which case the belt run he has shown should work OK.

are you on about the likes of nichhelins gatorback belts.dont like the idea of using one belt,but that just me.just bring the charger out a bit and double crank pulley.

With option 4, Supercharger, why does it have to be crap top end? A good twin screw, like a Whipple/Lysholm provides good top end and so can Centrifugals, it's only the Roots style that blow ( :D ) in the top end?

I love the turbo rush in a road car, but I'm with big N/A or S/C power for a track car.

dont those chargers lack bottom end,whereas the likes of eaton are designed for low to mid range.im all for low end torque.

Edited by barneybrendan (see edit history)