The mkiv Supra Owners Club

General handling question

roboldham

It seems to me that a lot of Supra drivers love the straights but are not too keen or downright nervous about taking bends in the same style.

I am wondering why this is the case?

The Supra was noted by many motoring journos for its grip and superb handling characteristics, especially coming out of bends.

I like the way it handles, especially if you have had the geometry done properly.

Of course I have had my mishaps, but still - it's a car made to handle.

So why the straight-line reputation.....?

R

Maybe because it's easier and safer to go in a straight line. I love my car for the twisty bits (probably more than the outright power) but there's so little opportunity to use it in this situation. Whenever I go to up to Sheffield to see my family, I also make a point of driving into Derbyshire because the roads (and the views) are fantastic in the Peak District. I do feel the Supra is a little wasted in Cambridge.

Also, when it comes down to it, the Supra is big, heavy car. If we totally went for handling over power, then we'd be a Lotus Elise forum :)

James.

I am nervous about cornering fast precisely because the Supra has such good levels of grip... to me, this means that if I mess it up on the limit there will be no time for any correction and the consequences will be very, very bad.

On the other hand, if I put my foot down on a nice long straight, it's much easier to deal with any slight problems.

On the third hand :conf: , cornering well within the Supra's limits still lets you go much faster than most people :)

To echo what James said, it's a big, heavy car. Also, the fact that it's rear wheel drive means there's always the danger of the back end stepping out.

Problem is, until you can find a nice big area to play about and get the back end out, and thus get to see/feel what it's like and how much you have to correct it, you're always a bit nervous about pushing it through the corners.

I had the same with my 200SX. I was always a little wary of it, but when I went on a trackday I found out all about the back end - what made it step out, what didn't, how much I had to correct it, how much it actually stepped out. Just the general 'feel' of hanging the back out a bit. With the Supra, I've not had a chance to do it yet, so I'm cautious.

If I went on a track day with it, or even better had some time with it on a Top Gear-style runway/track, and actually got to know what it's like when things go wrong, I'm sure I'd be more happy. At the moment it's unknown territory... and I'm nervous about going there.

Ok that all makes good sense.

I have actually took my ex-supe on the Top Gear track (although they wouldn't film me) - it was miserable wet, standing water but still it gripped better than the poxy 911 they had us going round in.

I think a track day that is not balls out and crappily organised but more of a professional Supra-only "training" day sounds like it may be in order.....

This could let the confident back out boys hone their skills and the less confident learn from a professional?

Who has contacts?

R

I think the key thing is run off area (!). It's the chance to chuck the mighty brute about and if I do spin I don't hit anything that I'd like to try. Even on track days there's still some mighty close barriers in places!

That's why I want more of a runway-style area. The problem is that usually when runway runs are organised it's a straight line jobby. I'd like a runway with some cones so we can do some learning.

I think such a day might get quite a big response actually... especially if it was actually promoted as a 'Learn how your Supra handles' kind of day.

Yeah good thinkin - I have done track days on bikes and it's close at times.

A runway with cones would be ideal.

There was some talk a while back of somebody working at an RAF base (disused?) who may be able to gain authorised access - anyone remember that?

Or anyone with any other runway contacts :-) ?

R

I did more track miles than road miles when I had my MKIV and I like to think I drove it pretty hard, especially the day of the wet Porsche owners club track day at Oulton I somehow got invited to :innocent: Funny lot, some got real *issy about being soundly trounced by a Japmobile, and when word got out it was an automatic on knackered none fancy tyres in an inch of standing water I was (ever so politely) told not to come again, as some of the more longstanding members were royally upset their 35 K RS's were being lapped. So yes, they handle, but in fairness they need taking by the scruff of the neck and showing no fear, or they will snap at you. There are some simple "tricks" to keeping an auto MKIV on the black stuff in the wet, pushed hard, too.

Originally posted by roboldham

Ok that all makes good sense.

I think a track day that is not balls out and crappily organised but more of a professional Supra-only "training" day sounds like it may be in order.....

This could let the confident back out boys hone their skills and the less confident learn from a professional?

R

Yep that gets my vote. Surely in the winter tracks up and down the country would be available? Even if its raining (in fact if it is all the better) it wouldnt be a problem because really these are the situations we would like to learn about. Like you say here it would be a learning track day not a hooning as fast as possible track day. The stick that supra drivers were doled out recently after not showing the other types how great supes were at castle coombe is a reason I think the people that could learn the most from a track day dont get involved. My Mrs loved her time on that track and she did learn some stuff she never would have on a road. Be nice to have an instructional day, not necessarily on how to race but to deal with hairy situations.

I'll be up for one of those days put my name down! I have only just got my Supra and I've already had the back end go on me in the wet. Not much but enough to make me wary. So for my sake (and everyone else unlucky enough to be on the same road as me!) let's have a learning day?!?

There is no way I can get anything like a proper feel of the thing on the open road. It's frustrating when you can feel the potential under your feet. Having said that I think it will otherwise take at least 6 months, probably more, to get a proper hang of it. One thing is for sure and that's everything people have said about the power of this car is true!

See, I disagree. I want a nice open space where I can spin off without hitting anything. If we have some cones on a runway, there's nothing to stop some of us going out to the corners with a yellow flag and waving it about if someone spins on the corner (and visibility will be far superior to on a track as there's just cones to block your view).

After going round Cadwell Park I wasn't too impressed with the run off in places... especially when two people whacked the barriers in two different places.

On road I was always nervous of the cars bulk when throwing it about. Not because I didn't trust the car - more because of the state of British roads and the Diesel that seems to cover them.

If I could guarentee there was no diesel or oil spills on the roads especially on Bus route's I'd have happily chucked it around more, like I did when at Trax 2002 and at bentwaters on a book a track day.

However I can't trust any british road because we let too many sh1tters drop too much fluid on the road. You've just got to look at the no. of bikers who've suffered to know that.

the first time i took my sup on track (japfest) i was really nervous about what i could and couldnt do, i was very worried about getting into a situation where i was past my own driving limits with other cars around me on track. as the laps went by my confidence increased and i felt more able to push my limits, in the end i had a fantastic time. I went back to castle coombe a couple of weeks ago to a Volkswagen Audi Group sponsored Action day:D i was much more confident this time and had an absoloute riot on track (it was great fun soundly trouncing the GTi boys and a couple of porsches:p ), i would highly recomend taking your supra on track to everyone on the forum if only to understand better the limits of the car and your own driving ability:thumbs:

i would definately be up for an instruction day, im already booked in on one at Coombe on the 18th august but the more instruction i get the better driver i will be and the better i will understand the limits of my car:)

Idealy a good wide runway (like on Top Gear) would be perfect - wouldn't need any cones even, just space cars out, impose a 60mph speed limit or something and let people play around going down it cornering and getting the power on.

Failing that (since no-one seems to offer an experience like that), surely Cone Dodgers would be ideal - book a Supe exclusive day - cheaper than a track day, no other cars to hit (or to hit you), no tyre barriers or gravel to plough into, you're not gonna fry your Jap brakes like on a track day, and I think the guy who runs it is on here too. Most people seem to want to play around with losing the back end and recovering / controlling it, rather than learn how to take a series of corners as fast as possible. Once they feel more confident with the car, then it's time to move onto trackdays IMO.

:looney:

Was out having some midnight fun sunday and found that though the car would lean quite severly going round, round abouts at high speed but it wouldn't let go. I wasn't going to push it any harder as i was rather worried about how far it would go and i was scared. But the car was going round corners quick to the point i wasn't losing much ground on cars with aftermarket setup's.

Having a huge run off would be good just to know where the limit is.

Okay guys, this is lookin promising - I'll float these past you first then publicise to group if it looks like a goer:

"Sounds like exactly what I have planned for a few other owners clubs, at the moment the events have been open entry and its almost exactly as you describe in terms of layout & format" (wide tarmec with cones)

"I have a huge open area of smooth tarmac near Andover Hampshire, some very small lightweight cones & nothing at all to hit. I usually lay out two circuits, one a straight line slalom where you quickly learn the basics of opp lock. Then a second larger circuit with lots of 200 deg corners blending into each other. The course is designed to provoke oversteer, lift off oversteer & Skandi Flicks."

"One car at a time on each circuit means it's nice and safe & the cones are completely non damaging. Speeds are usually 2nd (3rd gear maximum). Most drivers have got the sideways driving bit sorted by the afternoon. I offer tuition during the day as part of the deal, though on the open entry days everyone tends to help each other out which is a great way to learn & is a great leveller of ego's too. I have a couple of Supra regulars, a standard TT, a Mk3 3L & last time that "white lightning" one. "

"If you want to make a block booking just suggest a few dates, there are some extra venue dates that are available. It'd be ideal for 25-35 people at £60 each. Usually with a group booking I ask that we have a couple of volunteers to assist marshalling, normally at the entrance gate AM / Lunchtime & as a standby marshall if I'm out tutoring."

I also asked if we could rig up a BBQ too - so, look good?

I was thinking sometime in Aug poss early Sep?

R