The mkiv Supra Owners Club

more power

fullthrottle

hi guys,

ok i have a question that i am sure has been asked before but incase your wondering yes i have done a search and not found the answers,

so here we go my supra is uk spec and at the mo its bpu i want to increase the power upto 500 -550 ish but i don't want to go single, now i no its possible ie lee p and his car, so with that in mind i was thinking of back to basic tuning polished ported head different cams hks manifold hybrid turbos then re-mapped so what do you guys think has it been done? how much will i gain?

AM I WAISTING MY TIME any ideas guys.

lees car is strictly a twin turbo... it does after all have 2 turbos... but its not a twin turbo in the way your thinking. its more like a single turbo... but 2 of them. the stock systems twin turbo setup is a different thing all together. and cant realy be upgraded past bpu. you can get hybryds but they tend to not last long and for 50bhp more max its just not worth it.

You're wasting your time bud. Hybrids/cams etc etc won't get you close to your goal. Single is the only viable option really. You could get a healthy BPU, add some hybrids which would get you to about the 450 mark. Add cams and a remap might see a tiny bit more but I wouldn't expect a lot. From there your only option would be a shot of NOS.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

hi guys,

ok i have a question that i am sure has been asked before but incase your wondering yes i have done a search and not found the answers,

so here we go my supra is uk spec and at the mo its bpu i want to increase the power upto 500 -550 ish but i don't want to go single, now i no its possible ie lee p and his car, so with that in mind i was thinking of back to basic tuning polished ported head different cams hks manifold hybrid turbos then re-mapped so what do you guys think has it been done? how much will i gain?

AM I WAISTING MY TIME any ideas guys.

You won't make 500-550hp on the stock turbos.

Lee P's car is running an HKS twin turbo kit (much bigger turbos than stock), the car has a huge spec and will have cost many many £10's of thousands to build.

HKS do not do a manifold for the stock turbos.

Cams and aftermarket ECU will gain a little power, but the max you can expect on the stock turbos would be around 430hp (flywheel)

Hybrids will max out at around 450hp (flywheel) with all the supporting mods.

Polished ported head will be expensive and gains would be small.

The only way to get 500-550hp would be to do a single turbo conversion.

Have a read of THIS THREAD

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

i was thinking of back to basic tuning polished ported head different cams hks manifold hybrid turbos then re-mapped

Now why does this quote sound so familier but slightly reworded to suit....

In essence your attempts to push 500+ on stock twins, as already been said, will fail. Sorry but single is the only way unless you can find and mod some N1 turbos/manifolds to suit the supra.

ok so the hybrids won't work what about bigger turbos as in the the twin turbo set up from hks,

the reason for me wanting to keep twins is that i want to keep it in original configuration for reliability, i don't drive this car much and i plan on keeping it for a long time ie future classic as already own a rs500 for the same reason so i hope you guys now understand why single is not an option and its also an auto so thats my one reason for not wanting single because if i have to go down that route of upgrading the gearbox then i might aswell just go all out and go for crazy power but i don't want to go that far :)

ok so the hybrids won't work what about bigger turbos as in the the twin turbo set up from hks,

the reason for me wanting to keep twins is that i want to keep it in original configuration for reliability, i don't drive this car much and i plan on keeping it for a long time ie future classic as already own a rs500 for the same reason so i hope you guys now understand why single is not an option and its also an auto so thats my one reason for not wanting single because if i have to go down that route of upgrading the gearbox then i might aswell just go all out and go for crazy power but i don't want to go that far :)

Lot more to go wrong with big HKS twins and a single kit, there is two of everything, you cant compare hks twins to a stock setup in any way, you need to do some research mate, why would anyone want to run hks twins at 550bhp? the car will be laggy as hell with that setup, for big twin you need a built engine, lots of boost and a very high rev limit to get them working at there best.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Have a look at Lee P's garage spec list, most of the parts listed are essential and have to be fitted to support the larger HKS twins, fueling, cooling, ignition, ECU mapping, drivetrain, engine rebuild, etc, etc. An HKS twin turbo kit is as far from the original configuration as you can get.

A small single turbo kit will provide the power you are looking for and if quality parts are used, are professionally fitted and mapped, is no less reliable than running the stock turbos and in my own experience far more reliable.

You can't take an engine that was designed to deliver 320hp, do a 56% power hike and still make any claims about its reliability :)

The 2JZ has only ever "proved" its reliability in one form, and that is stock. Yes, plenty of people on here have modded engines turning out high power, and no, they very rarely appear to go bang. But they may not drive the way you are going to drive. Perhaps they only spend 1% of their total driving time above peak torque. Perhaps they do the occasional full throttle blat at Santapod. Maybe there are several people who use these cars as a daily drive and are up and down the speed / load range all the time. Those are the people to try to get ideas about reliability of modded engines from, but if you are planning to keep this car for a long time, you would need to find someone who has already kept theirs for a long time without any issues.

I'm not anti-modding, but working in the motor industry, reliability has a rather special meaning to me. No disrespect to any of the tuners on here but an industry standard durability test would probably leave 99% of modded engines in little pieces on the dyno room floor (and walls). If you want to have a future classic in your garage in ten years time, surely its best kept as Toyota intended it?