The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie Qu: Rear skirts removal?

The Road Warrior

Hi all,

Been browsing this bbs for ages now, thought it was time I introduced myself. Sold my 2nd N/A last year after making the grave mistake of test driving a TT (hooked ever since!). Finally after doing the whole getting married & buying a property thing, the search for a TT manual has begun.

Have found a nice one but was wondering if the rear skirts can be removed back to stock? Is this easily done? Anyone who's fitted these should know the score.

Also I realise this may result in an angry mob after me but I nearly got talked into buying an m3 instead, but the path of the Supra was too strong...

Thanks in advance

(I presume were talking about rear spats here, right? )

Well it depends, it can be near impossible to get them off with out breaking them. Once you've got them off you have the problem of removing the adhesive from the car. Depending on which adhesive was used you might not be able to get it off without removing paint.

You can try removing as much of the residue as poss with a Stanley blade (other blades are available) and then loosening/disolving the remainder with a solvent. Make sure the solvent won't take your paint off though.

Thanks for your replies, most informative. I really like the look of the Soop when its standard, just wanted to find out how difficult it is to remove the rear spats. If it's just a case of 'carefully' ripping them off then I may proceed with the purchase and take my chances. They might even grow on me & I may leave em. Am even thinking of a respray (colour change) since the car is going cheap. Like gunmetal & black but are hard to come by at good prices, ie. less than 10k. Watch this space!

I have the opposite problem - my rear spats really are not stuck on well at all. There is a half-cm gap between them and the rear bumper at the top, and to be honest, it looks SH**TE!!! People keep saying it looks really tacky and I agree. I didn't realise people used glue and stuff, I thought they were just held on 'mechanically'

So, can anyone give me a good product that I can spludge all over them to make them stick on??

Originally posted by Red

I have the opposite problem - my rear spats really are not stuck on well at all. There is a half-cm gap between them and the rear bumper at the top, and to be honest, it looks SH**TE!!! People keep saying it looks really tacky and I agree. I didn't realise people used glue and stuff, I thought they were just held on 'mechanically'

So, can anyone give me a good product that I can spludge all over them to make them stick on??

Go to a paint supplier and buy a product for sticking kits on , its like Sikoflex but overpaintable , i use one calle Tiger seal , Jake will vouch that its pretty 'resiliant' , make sure the inside of the spat is well 'keyed' up though !!!

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by dude

Tiger seal , Jake will vouch that its pretty 'resiliant'

Yep, Tiger Seal is stickier than ........ errr......... the Ace Of Spades

(can't think of a simile for a very sticky thing at the moment)

Originally posted by The Road Warrior

Interesting, so how could I determine if they've been 'glassed on' dude? Is there a way of checking without damaging them?

If you poke the putty knife down the join and hits something brittle then your screwed :eek:

Dude:flame Dev

Just leave the bloody things on mate. You'll only be wanting to buy some once the honeymoon period is over.

What ones has it got anyway? If they're Toyota OE (or Veilside) spats you're laughing. I presume it's got skirts too, right? Would look odd with spats but no skirts.

yes back to the turbo, its nice but needs a little cosmetic tidying in places, nothing serious and mechanically its great, its done a few miles, and i've done a fair few more recently! but i no longer worry too much about that with these cars....