The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clunk from rear when car is on an angle

jevansio

My car has just developed an annoying clunk at the back when the car is on an angle (when the weight of the car is on the front left & rear right wheels, my drive is up bank and is approached on an angle).

I've had the back end up and been over all the major nuts & bolts. The ARB brackets were if anything the least torqued, I put a little bit on them but it hasn't helped.

I also tried tightening up the 3 bolts that come through holding the rear shockers on and like a true idiot have sheared one of them off in my fustration to rid the clunk :D. Can you buy these studs sperately anywhere? They are RS-R coilovers :)

I dunno mate, it's pretty reproducable once I get the angle correct so I guess it's just a case of backing it on & off while someone has a look under, will get Rachel to have a look at the weekend.

I've knocked the old stud out of the suspension and have it here, anyone suggest where I can get a replacement?

Also, it might be coincedence, but the only time my exhaust catches is on my drive, maybe its the exhaust brackets returning, cheers for the tip John :)

You wouldnt fit a hamburger between your exhaust and the floor Jay, you did mention that you had it tucked right up "as far as it could go?" as you mentioned, id have "thunk" it was this.

Have you checked the 2 rubber bushes in the top arms, i just had the same problem with mine and both were shot. I dont understand how they made a clunk noise but they do

I haven't no, I did a quick check of visible bolts, but light was fading, I will have a good look this weekend

Just so that you know in the future, those bolts at the top don't need to be silly tight lol.

Yeah I know :D, but I was getting p1ssed at the clunk :D

You wouldnt fit a hamburger between your exhaust and the floor Jay, you did mention that you had it tucked right up "as far as it could go?" as you mentioned, id have "thunk" it was this.

Mmmmmm, hamburgers :D

Yip, mine is in exactly the same places too.

This morning I pulled all the old studs out & fitted new M8 nuts & bolts. It's still there. I don't think it's the exhaust but will know for sure at the weekend.

So I'm going to check all the suspension arms. Is there are chance it could be bushes where the subframe bolts to the chassis, or where the diff bolts to the subframe?

Is it possible that the wheelhop I sometimes get (which if I'm not mistaken does seem to be getting slightly worse) could be an affect of the worn part?

I would say mine definitely isnt an exhaust knock, it sounds like suspension bushes, thats about all i can fathom for now, i'm swapping the shocks at the weekend, so will check all the bushes then. Will post results on on this thread if i get anywhere! The same mechanic mate has just had the same issues on his 2004 M3, that was rear subframe bushes, so he tells me.