The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice steam clean

Super-Dr

Hi, Ive copied a reply i made in another recent thread regarding engine cleaning....

Personally i wouldnt steam clean, i also dont believe you need to use a pressure washer on full pelt. Some cars you can get away with it if there are huge covers over everything, but even then still not 'needed'

Get yourself a bucket with warm water and car shampoo and a selction of small sponges and brushes.

You can cover any major electrical parts in clingfilm or just use your common sense and dont drench them.

Lightly soak everywhere in the hot soapy water.

Spray everything in a solution of All Purpose Cleaner and an Engine & Machine Cleaner for the more heavily greased areas.

Leave it to soak in and start lifting the grease and dirt away for a few mins.

Get stuck in with the brushes and sponges into every nook and cranny you can (expect to get scraped knuckles ) Respray areas with the above products as you go where you feel its needed. It honestly does come down to good old elbow grease to get things cleaned up. Dont think you can just spray a product on and jet wash it off and all will be rosy.

Once clean, give everywhere i quick wipe down with a sponge and the warm soapy water incase any dirt has been washed over parts as you moved around the bay cleaning.

Now, you dont need mass water pressure to rinse everything off. You can use a hose with a gentle trickle coming out, a watering can or i often use a pressure washer but turned off so you still get a powerful ish spray coming out but not one thats gona rip things apart.

Start the engine and leave it running for 5 mins, you will get steam coming out which is expected.

Now all is clean and rinsed you need a product to make everything look nice and protect it. I always use aerospace 303. You can either dry everything with cloths, spray the product everywhere and leave for 5 mins and then buff off. Or a better way is when the bay is wet, spray the 303 litterally everywhere, shut the bonnet and leave it for a good 4-5 hours. Because it is a water based product it will dry completely streak free and look fantastic.

Job done

Have a look through my trader thread to see many examples of how i have done bays.

I must have steamed at least 15 Supra engine bays with water temp just below steam and lots of detergent in the tank, and AFAIK they are all still running fine, as are every modern engine I have done. Just a bit of sensible thought and a long run to dry off everything should see this a quick and painless operation. I don't cover or blank anything off. I nlow out the coil pack valley and spray them with WD40