The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of going parrallel

fastcar

Hi peeps

Have just gone BPU and thinking of switching the turbo system to run parrallel to iron out the that anoying hesitation when the 2nd turbo kicks in. Have allso heard that it can help with the fueling problem that occurs around 4000-5000 RPM. But dont know how true that is. One of the things that is bothering me the most is jamming the actuator's open. Is there any long term affects of doing this.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have allso heard that it can help with the fueling problem that occurs around 4000-5000 RPM.

Not true, the fueling and timing do some strange old things at the transition point where the second turbo would normally come in. I would not run the turbos in parallel unless you have an ECU mapped to suite.

Running the stock turbos in parallel is very laggy and there is very little power until around 3500-4000rpm.

Not true, the fueling and timing do some strange old things at the transition point where the second turbo would normally come in. I would not run the turbos in parallel unless you have an ECU mapped to suite.

Running the stock turbos in parallel is very laggy and there is very little power until around 3500-4000rpm.

Why do people runn TTC then?

Why do people runn TTC then?

I use to run the turbos on mine in parallel for a while but the ECU was mapped to suit. It gives a more linear power delivery and it feels like you get more mid range power, it is laggy, but you learn to drive around it.

Cause they can't leave stuff alone ;) The whole beauty of the Supra as stock is the twin set up, TTC is all the dissadvantages of a single with none of the advantages.

couldn't agree more, all that time and effort Mr T spent on the sequential system, if you look at a schematic of the system its a work of art, instant boost from around 1800 rpm and then people bypass the system "cos it sounds good" :search:

Cause they can't leave stuff alone ;) The whole beauty of the Supra as stock is the twin set up, TTC is all the dissadvantages of a single with none of the advantages.

couldn't agree more, all that time and effort Mr T spent on the sequential system, if you look at a schematic of the system its a work of art, instant boost from around 1800 rpm and then people bypass the system "cos it sounds good" :search:

I totally understand why people want to do it, that burst of torque you get when the 2nd turbo comes in which isn't relative to throttle position, I didn't like it much at all, I was much happier after going single, and the power delivery of the 996TT provides, who needs a torque curve with a hump in the middle?

I thought it didnt sound right when i heard it. seam's like it's more trouble then it's worth and with no real advantage. If the turbo's lag and there no real power intill 3500-4000rpm then what is the point. You dont really get much power intill that kind of rpm anyway. Sound's to me like it would make the it slower.

I used to run mine it permanent TTC mode IE all the relevant butterfly's wired open, so no dogey VSV behavior, and mapped for the fueling and timing oddities that TTC can give rise to.

I liked it,and mine was not what i would call laggy, full boost by 2,800RPM, and much more mid range kick, but then i was always disappointed with the linear feel of the sequential system, even when BPU.

I had best dig up some of my data logs to double check, If i still have them, i guess i could be remembering it wrong, it was three years ago:innocent:

I would be very surprised, there would be no reason for Toyota to go down the sequential mode if they could get full boost by 2800rpm in parallel. In sequential my 1st turbo is just getting fully on song by then, maybe a little less.

Even so, it is still better than what Toyota managed. Impressive stuff, and I would say a fluke, I don't think it could be reproduced.

Saying that I reckon my car will make 1bar by around 3500 in TTC.

Shame i had deleted all my TTC logs, all i could find on my PC was my GT4088 single logs, but i assure you that was an average boost figure for my TTC set up until i went hybrid, which pushed the full boost further up the RPM range due to the metal turbines and larger size.

I completely agree with Ricky, I did a car in ttc with a power fc mapped by Ryan and it made full boost by 3200rpm. So no fluke, just seems some spool slightly earlier than others for some reason.

I much prefere the way they drive in ttc but you must have an ecu and map for it to see the benefits.