The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hey Guys, Thinking about a Supra

Guest Shammy

Hey guys/gals, how are you all?

I drive a ZR 120 at the moment, was going to upgrade to a 160 soon. Had a look on ebay and saw that there were some Supras going for under £3k! Did an insurance quote and I can get insured on the N/A for £1000 when I turn 21 next month!!! I couldn't believe it!

The Supra is a car that I have always wanted to own, but not sure if i'll take the plunge. I joined here so I could get advice from you knowledgeable folk!

I know the engines are very reliable, but with the cars being old now and most of them on high mileage, are they costly to run? What is the mpg like around town? Are parts easy to get hold of? Oh, and do you have to run it on V-Power or similar?

I'm looking at the 3.0 N/A versions, most of them seem automatic, I would prefer a manual but you can't get everything! I'd only have a budget of around £3000 max as I'm a student, so any more than that then I wouldn't be able to pay the insurance/running costs.

Can I get anything decent for that much?

I'm sure you have been asked these questions before many times, so sorry for asking them again.

Thanks in advance :)

Usually the less you pay a car, the more work awaiting for you mate.

Even if you start with a auto / na ; this could very well end up as a nice project car. You just need some time, work and a few bucks.

I got my first sup when I was still in college. 5spd na beat to shit. I sold it in a decent condition for its age and mileage with a full usdm swap and bpu goodies.

Welcome

I would go for the Supra over an MG any day of the week :)

Mileage around town expect about 20+mpg

The mileage is no concern if the car has been maintained properly

There is no need to run an N/A on V Power as it will give you no benefit

Dont discount the auto box. It is great and smooth, you would be suprised.

Have a look on the forsales here to see what you can get for your budget..

Scotty

Thanks for the welcome guys :D

Yeah, well in all honesty I love my ZR to bits, it's the mk2 facelift in the stunning firefrost red :D

But, the Supra is one of those cars that I've always wanted to own but never thought I would, I didn't realise it was actually feasible to get one, especially so early in my life! If I could get one with a decent MOT for £2600 I'd be happy!

How many people use their Supra as an everyday driver?

The only thing stopping me is the running costs really, I've always thought of the Supra as a kind of supercar, expensive on fuel etc. How often do you have to service them? Does the service cost a lot?

I drive around 80 miles a week, all around town, I'm just not sure how much a 3.0 auto would hit me in the wallet! If it isn't too bad then I wouldn't mind, I get about 28mpg in my ZR.

80 miles is about £20 of juice in my na manual . but its a small price to pay for the way you feel in these cars

and as said have a look whats about on hear for sale . iv not long baught a lovely exaply na 5 speed from another member for an exelent price well within you bugit

That's not too bad... £80 a month of fuel though..aaah! Saying that, I get about 100 miles to £20 n my ZR at the moment!

Thanks mate, that's very informative. Tbh, the more I think about it the more I want one, I just LOVE the way it is such a drivers car, the way the whole dash curves around the driver.

How much are parts if they need replacing? Are they supercar prices or are they actually priced decently? Parts are pretty cheap for the ZR.

Are there any companies dedicated to supplying Supra parts, the X-Part for MG-Rover equivalent for the Supra?

parts are reasonable , depends what you need , but this is a big comunity and if new parts from toyota are a bit rich thers allways someone on hear that can help with used parts at good prices .

there are also some verry good traders on hear that supply anything you need at better prices that toyota themselvs

Awesome mate, cheers. I've been asking folk I know and some are saying don't buy it because it's old etc, some saying yes lol!

I'll keep an eye out in the classifieds and see if something within budget pops up in the future, also have an eye on ebay.

How much power do the N/A engines have? is it 220bhp? Also what is the 0-60 time? I'm just looking for it and can't find it.

Edited by Shammy (see edit history)

i bought my supra for £4500 5speed NA (as wanting to do a NA - TT conversion)

I got full exhuats system decat/air filter/deep dish alloys and side skirts/front splitter + rear spats.

insurance £1600 and im 21 been my dream car.

well worth it but anything under £3k (depending on milage) i wouldnt really want to touch - unless your looking for a project/stripping it for parts etc.

There is a NA auto on here being sold by Trevs in silver - (i was going to have a look at it) but i got this one as i viewd it 1st.

I think he has price dropped it for £4200 or something.

By sounds/look of it - its close to mint and everything is working.

here a link mate to thread: (i would have bought this if i viewd it first as its actually less milage and better condition than mine)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=225376

in a way i wish i viewed this one as mine needs some new injectors/fuel reg.

Hope this helps

But i drive my car as a daily driver to/from work - to the shops etc - it always puts a smile on my face this car and i will never get rid of it.

If your looking for a supra under £3k i would either save 6months or so longer and get a decent example or buy a supra that needs some work and have it as a project.

WELCOME TO SUPRA OWNERS CLUB

Edited by gazzi123 (see edit history)

Hi and welcome pal.

I'm sure you will enjoy a supra if you get one, for 3k you should be able to get something reasonable but if you can stretch to 4k then you can get a minter with a few mods already.

Just try to look at as many cars as possible, try the auto and manual (i went straight for the manual and don't regret it)

0-60 should be between 6-7 seconds, but its higher up the speeds when it shows its true colours.

Mine does around 17mpg but thats with knackerd 02 sensors so 20+ should be the norm.

The engines are strong and solid, you shouldnt have any probs with an NA and a replacement can be had for £2-300.

If you want to go for a TT conversion that normally around 2.5k fitted and then a 6speed box is around 3k fitted, there is no end to what you can do to them.

I had an MG ZR 160 before I bought my Supra and have never regretted a moment of it even though I have only had it about a month. I got a TT but a N/A is definitely a step in the right direction !!! They are a great car to own and get a lot of attention.

Oh and I know this guy from the MG-R.org owners club.

i bought my supra for £4500 5speed NA (as wanting to do a NA - TT conversion)

I got full exhuats system decat/air filter/deep dish alloys and side skirts/front splitter + rear spats.

insurance £1600 and im 21 been my dream car.

well worth it but anything under £3k (depending on milage) i wouldnt really want to touch - unless your looking for a project/stripping it for parts etc.

There is a NA auto on here being sold by Trevs in silver - (i was going to have a look at it) but i got this one as i viewd it 1st.

I think he has price dropped it for £4200 or something.

By sounds/look of it - its close to mint and everything is working.

here a link mate to thread: (i would have bought this if i viewd it first as its actually less milage and better condition than mine)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=225376

in a way i wish i viewed this one as mine needs some new injectors/fuel reg.

Hope this helps

But i drive my car as a daily driver to/from work - to the shops etc - it always puts a smile on my face this car and i will never get rid of it.

If your looking for a supra under £3k i would either save 6months or so longer and get a decent example or buy a supra that needs some work and have it as a project.

WELCOME TO SUPRA OWNERS CLUB

Thanks for the welcome :)

That's decent insurance! I need to do another quote, I didn't realise that there aren't any UK N/A engines!

Thanks for the link mate

Hi and welcome pal.

I'm sure you will enjoy a supra if you get one, for 3k you should be able to get something reasonable but if you can stretch to 4k then you can get a minter with a few mods already.

Just try to look at as many cars as possible, try the auto and manual (i went straight for the manual and don't regret it)

0-60 should be between 6-7 seconds, but its higher up the speeds when it shows its true colours.

Mine does around 17mpg but thats with knackerd 02 sensors so 20+ should be the norm.

The engines are strong and solid, you shouldnt have any probs with an NA and a replacement can be had for £2-300.

If you want to go for a TT conversion that normally around 2.5k fitted and then a 6speed box is around 3k fitted, there is no end to what you can do to them.

Thanks for the welcome mate!

Awesome mate cheers! I can't strech to more then 3k at the moment unfortunately, maybe after the new year.

That's pretty cheap for an engine replacement, I thought it would be more!

I think I could buy one and run it, the only real issue is the fuel consumption, but I guess it would be worth it just for driving it! I only drive my car 3 or 4 days a week so should be okay.

I had an MG ZR 160 before I bought my Supra and have never regretted a moment of it even though I have only had it about a month. I got a TT but a N/A is definitely a step in the right direction !!! They are a great car to own and get a lot of attention.

Oh and I know this guy from the MG-R.org owners club.

Yeah awesome mate, I didn't realise you went straight for a TT, that's a big jump!

Yeah, the good old .org :D

Welcome to the forum, I have just the NA you are looking for :D

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=117726&d=1285347752

That's a really nice car! Although I was hoping to get one with a leather interior!

I'd need to wait till I turn 21 next month before I could buy one, I'd need to sell my ZR as well to get the funds for it!

Sorry guys, I just found out that I can get insured on a TT for £30 more!! How hard are these to come by and what is the cheapest decent ones? What are the mpg for these, are they significantly lower?

How are these cars to drive in the wet, do you need to be very careful? Bare in mind I will be moving from a 120bhp ZR to one of these! If they are lively in the wet then I might wait until after winter to get one.

If you're worrying about running costs on an N/A, I'd forget about a TT. No doubt at your age, you'll be riding on boost alot of the time so you'll get much less than 20MPG...

Lot's more to go wrong, lots more potential to kill yourself as you'll be making a massive jump from your MG. An N/A would be a big enough increase in performance, you'll get the aesthetics you want, and it's not going to cost you as much to buy or run.

Drive carefully in the wet, and don't drive at all in the snow...

I sat in a mg when I was looking at a first car. Felt like I was back in the 80s interior was shocking lol. Build quality wise the supra is in a different league.

Yeah the build quality is the only thing letting down my ZR tbh, other than that its great! Loads of fun to drive and a great engine, the number of compliments I get on the colour is insane lol :D

:lol:

I would wait then :D

Yeah that might be the best option lol!

If you're worrying about running costs on an N/A, I'd forget about a TT. No doubt at your age, you'll be riding on boost alot of the time so you'll get much less than 20MPG...

Lot's more to go wrong, lots more potential to kill yourself as you'll be making a massive jump from your MG. An N/A would be a big enough increase in performance, you'll get the aesthetics you want, and it's not going to cost you as much to buy or run.

Drive carefully in the wet, and don't drive at all in the snow...

Not sure if I'd be driving on boost mate as I do care about mpg to an extent so would be trying to avoid boost wherever possible!

I'm not your average 21 year old driver, I definitely think before I act and don't clown around. I have driven a few cars before with 150bhp+ but they have been diesels, I drove a 187bhp merc diesel and it was okay, I know the Supra is in a completely different league though and appreciate that.

Tbh I think I'd rather buy the N/A Supra, don't want to spend money I don't need to on the TT when the N/A is more than good enough.

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated!

If you only have 3K£, then an TT is out of the question. Also remember that you should have some money, for those repairs and service ect. So if you just got 3k£ and just barly can pay for the car, then you will hit the wall, when the first repair comes.

So an N/A is the only choice and you should save some money for when things go wrong.

If you only have 3K£, then an TT is out of the question. Also remember that you should have some money, for those repairs and service ect. So if you just got 3k£ and just barly can pay for the car, then you will hit the wall, when the first repair comes.

So an N/A is the only choice and you should save some money for when things go wrong.

How often do they go wrong? I don't want to spend a lot on repairs! Oh and how often often do they have to be serviced?

I will be okay money wise, if the repairs don't cost too much!