The mkiv Supra Owners Club

starting issues

fizzle

when i turn the key the starter motor just clicks, it will do this 3 or 4 times then start as usual....

is the starter motor on its way out or just a loose connection easy fixed?

it used to only do it every now and then but now seems to be a regular occurance!

thanks jai

If it was a flat battery you'd get a few clicks.. To be 100% sure, why not charge the battery then try starting it.. That way you can eliminate the battery but its gonna be a starter. Again as said, i'm sure the fix kit is about £15 from Mr T.

Agreed, however mine has made machine gun style clicking when low before, i also had a bad battery terminal before that caused the same machine gun style clicking.

Fizzle, It is almost certainly the starter that needs a re-furb. It's very very common. They do go on and on like this for years before complete failure.

But, if you really want to take the battery out of the equation and dont have access to a simple volt meter to look at the voltage while cranking (or not in your case), put your lights on and when trying to crank if it's the battery they will dim to almost nothing, if its the starter they will only dim a little.

I do have a starter motor spare if you want it, it needs a refurb kit fitting but at least you could do the work in advance while not taking your car out of commision. Dont want anything for it, all I ask is that you let me have your old one back once you are sorted. I am in Northants also.

All the people who know they have got dodgy battery connections should sort them without delay. This can and does cause permanent damage to the ecu. I know of two this has happened to in the past 12 months, both exhibiting the same symptoms after being used with loose battery connections. One of these was mine :(

checked all connections and they are fine! awaiting reply from mr t for bits as suggested.. thanks

cheers shane, where in n'pton r u? are n/a and tt ones the same?

Irthlingborough mate. The one I have here is from my old 94 NA. I think I read somewhere that they although they are a little different between models, they are interchangable.