The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R888's on the rear

Neil-NA

Looking at putting some R888's on just the rear of the Supra for when im 'messing' around.

What can i expect in terms of handleing if i only have the rears, bearing in mind all the sprited driving will be done in a straight line (just need to cruise to my chosen location)

Sounds like an expensive waste of time to me. T1Rs (or A. N. Other) will cost half the price and offer just as useful levels of grip for an NA, plus be fine in the wet.

I already have 265 T1r's on my car but when doing standing starts at 4.5-5k they spin, was thinking maybe r888s or similar would mkae things a wee bit more consistant.

Always with the negativity! :no:

:p Just trying to save the chap money to spend in the right areas.

I already have 265 T1r's on my car but when doing standing starts at 4.5-5k they spin, was thinking maybe r888s or similar would mkae things a wee bit more consistant.

Ah, well you didn't say you doing that, I assumed you had grip problems while already moving. From experience of my old NA, I'd say that 265s are excessive for the car, but if you're into drag-starts...

You realise if the tyres don't spin you're going to murder your clutch? I killed mine off pretty quickly. :D

Ahwell its only money :D

You will never be able to launch optimal without spin.. Spin is neccesary to make to correct transision between power, grip and traction. Also as mentioned above, should you be able to do a launch without spin from 4000+ rpm, you will only make the one...

And R888 only in the back? Makes no sense at all. R888 are track/handling tyres. Not for doing launches. You want drag radials for that. Doing R888 in the back and regular tyres up front will correspond to running skinny winter tires front and wiiiiiide performance tyres rear and screw up the grip dynamics of the car.

You will never be able to launch optimal without spin.. Spin is neccesary to make to correct transision between power, grip and traction. Also as mentioned above, should you be able to do a launch without spin from 4000+ rpm, you will only make the one...

And R888 only in the back? Makes no sense at all. R888 are track/handling tyres. Not for doing launches. You want drag radials for that. Doing R888 in the back and regular tyres up front will correspond to running skinny winter tires front and wiiiiiide performance tyres rear and screw up the grip dynamics of the car.

Yeah, thanks for the input.

Will be trying it anyways.