The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power steering reservoir location questions

hodge

Hi guys

I'm looking at the Power steering resevior location of my project and don't want it in the engine bay. Now I know the lowest outlet on the tank must be higher that the inlet on the pump, BUT will there be an issue if the hose going from the pump to the resevior dips lower than the pump along as the resevior itself sits higher.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

John

So long as the suction side pipe diameter is adequate and the pipe run as short as possible, it should work. Maybe if you could say where you plan to put it I could give a better idea if it will work. EG, in the boot wouldn't be a good idea, but just t' other side of the engine bulkhead should be OK.

I was going to put it in the inner wing chris.

But to put it there the pipe at some point will have to dip lower than the pump to go under the chassis and up to the inner wing.

Edited by hodge (see edit history)

This is my 2nd supra and I've worked on loads of them and never known 1 to lose fluid yet. So I can't see it being an issue mate. The other option it to cut a hole in the top part of the inner wing and have the lid popping through so the levels could be checked when the bonnet is up.

But it's a massive amount of work just so I can see the tank lid.

But it's a massive amount of work just so I can see the tank lid.

It seems like a massive amount of work for nowt anyway so why not :D

I don't understand the drive for this but each to their own. Just for info though, someone here recently ended up with misfire grief for a couple of months and got very upset over it all, and it turned out to be caused by moving the igniter pack into the footwell - it overheated and burnt out. So be careful what you shift out of the engine bay :) PAS fluid can boil on a track day, so I dunno what effect moving the reserviour to the wing would have on that. If CW says it's ok, though... :shrug:

Yeah it was Jay with the ignitor pack. Funny enough Ian it was me that fixed the problem lol. I wouldn't be using the car for track days really. Maybe up the drag strip at suprapod but that's as far as it would go.

I have a 10 row PAS cooler fitted though just incase.

I'm just looking into it at the minuite and gathering info before I take the jump. If there is any risk then I'll have to find a contingency plan.

^ Yeah, that's right :D, I like to keep stuff accessible now :D

I don't recall getting "very upset" about it though?

By "very upset" I mean stressed over the car not working when it should be and it was summertime which = supra time. I didn't mean you'd burst into tears :D