The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight bulbs

nuttynutz

hey guys,

am in Hong Kong still, and finally activated my membership.

just so you guys know, have spotted Nic's car in the town im living at, pretty damn nice, taken a few pics of it, and seen about 3-4 other supra's around.

anyway, a quick question.

i dont have HID's

but i was wondering if its worth changing my headlight bulbs. the headlights alittle yellow, but the lights seem so weak, would changing them make a diffence. and i cant afford to change the headlights themself yet.

so if i buy new bulbs? which do i get? H1, H2, H3 etc etc, i dont know the differnce.

and are there any differnce power rate for the bulbs?

Guest slow dog

hello mate there all 12v and are 55w/60w but you can buy

pure white light which are 60w/75w the rally cars use them

and you can buy in car factors belive it or not

try not to get any higher watts than that or you willl be pulled up for blinding every one

The dipped and main beam JDM and UK spec bulbs are physically different as far as the base of the bulb goes. I think with some jiggery buggery you can make one fit the other, though.

I just changed my JDM headlights for UK ones and had to fork out nearly £40 on new bulbs. Worth every penny though, the difference in brightness is amazing.

Originally posted by Darren Blake

The dipped and main beam JDM and UK spec bulbs are physically different as far as the base of the bulb goes. I think with some jiggery buggery you can make one fit the other, though.

I just changed my JDM headlights for UK ones and had to fork out nearly £40 on new bulbs. Worth every penny though, the difference in brightness is amazing.

Hi Darren

I've just done the same swap to UKs but I'm still using the bulbs from my old lights. Which bulbs did you get exactly mate? I'd prefer to not have to mess about cutting bits off them to get them to fit.

If you go to Halfrauds and just buy the ones they specify from their replacment range they should just drop in. There are two different types for main and dipped beam and I think the 9002 and 9003 numbers above are correct, but check the booklet in Halfrauds to make sure.

How did you manage to get JDM bulbs into UK lights though? My JDM bulbs would kind of look like they were going to fit, but either not fit into the three-tabbed hole no matter how you turned it round, or fit in but not turn to lock it in.

cool, so that means, i should get 60/75w bulbs :D

so whats 9002 and 9003?? is that the H1's, H2's ... etc etc?

am quite confused which is which.

just that my jspec headlights are so dim i wonna replace the bulbs. even with full beam on, seems dimmer than a BMW main lights.

so which parts am i suppose to get? the whole set H1 to H4??

Originally posted by nuttynutz

cool, so that means, i should get 60/75w bulbs :D

so whats 9002 and 9003?? is that the H1's, H2's ... etc etc?

am quite confused which is which.

just that my jspec headlights are so dim i wonna replace the bulbs. even with full beam on, seems dimmer than a BMW main lights.

so which parts am i suppose to get? the whole set H1 to H4??

HEADLIGHT EQUIVALENTS

893 =880, 884, 885, 890, 899

894 =881, 886, 889, 896, 898

9004 =HB1

9005 =9145, HB3

9006 =HB4

9007 =HB5

H4 =9003, HB2

Philips 30%+ are the best bulbs you can currently buy for a 9006 fitting. The 50%+ are even better but only come in H4 fitting, useless for us. The blue ones are cool and everything, but the Philips premium ones are much better light wise.

Seb

Originally posted by Jake

Darren,

The Halfords book says the bulbs are 9006 and 9005.

I didn't reuse my JSpec bulbs in the dipped beam, I used some blue 9006 bulbs from http://www.eurodezigns.com that I got ages ago, they never fitted my JSpec lights.

The main beam bulbs from the J lights fitted the UK lights OK.

:shrugs:

Cheers

--

Jake

I knew it was 900 - something. Sorry for the bum steer.

Pretty certain that niether of my JDM bulbs would fit in my UK lights. One would go in the hole but would not rotate. Maybe I'm just not strong enough? :innocent: