The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel cut when cornering?

skyludeboy

My car seams to be experiencing fuel cuts when cornering hard or getting the back end out this only happens when the petrol level is below 1/4 has any one else experience this I was told it is a common problem with supras is this true? Any one else experience this as it's pretty annoying my car is question is a Toyota chaser with 2jzgte running bosch 044 fuel pump, hks f con v, 850cc injectors and t51r turbo

Thanks

My car seams to be experiencing fuel cuts when cornering hard or getting the back end out this only happens when the petrol level is below 1/4 has any one else experience this I was told it is a common problem with supras is this true? Any one else experience this as it's pretty annoying my car is question is a Toyota chaser with 2jzgte running bosch 044 fuel pump, hks f con v, 850cc injectors and t51r turbo

Thanks

The problem is the fuel pump, it is not in the correct position and therfore not picking fuel up under cornering or acceleration, that and the fact that IMO only the 044 should not be used as an in tank pump, it was never designed for that, using a swirl pot system and feeding it yes, in tank no.

Use the Bosch 040 which was designed for in tank use. They are about £130.

Like the Cosworth uses, which can't even supply a 2 litre putting out 450 hp, we have had to change 2 in the last 10 days, brand new pumps, what is it with the OH MY GOD THE BOSCH IS THE ONE TO GO FOR, IMO they are crap.

just a question

but if the pump shouldn't be mounted in the tank then couldn't it cause a problem with may be a spark and goodbye fuel tank/car? as i doubt it is Ex(explosive) proof on the outside of the pump?

You can get one deigned to go in a tank, they are used in cosworths, I would put a Walboro in, much smaller , fits better and will do the job no problem.

I use a Bosch 044 in my tank and have done for while including on track and never had any issues, they are also used in GTRs and Scoobies in tank without issue, the problem comes when it hasnt been fitted correctly as already mentioned, I trimmed the stock bracket on mine to ensure the filter/sock was in the stock position, without trimming the bracket it would sit higher and cause the issues you are seeing.

:thumbs:

I use a Bosch 044 in my tank and have done for while including on track and never had any issues, they are also used in GTRs and Scoobies in tank without issue, the problem comes when it hasnt been fitted correctly as already mentioned, I trimmed the stock bracket on mine to ensure the filter/sock was in the stock position, without trimming the bracket it would sit higher and cause the issues you are seeing.

:thumbs:

Or some one trims the bracket and mounts the pump with loom ties so it slides down and sucks itself to the floor of the tank;). Looking at Hecklers im still not happy with what the pressure does under boost, does not behave the same as a walboro.

Or some one trims the bracket and mounts the pump with loom ties so it slides down and sucks itself to the floor of the tank;).

:lol:

Looking at Hecklers im still not happy with what the pressure does under boost, does not behave the same as a walboro.

What is it doing and how you monitoring pressure, what FPR is it using?

Well, every F3000 car built (thousands of them) have run 044 in tank, and countless other race cars including Le Mans 24 hour prototypes, where utmost reliability is vital. There's absolutely no difference in the connections, material, construction or sealing to preclude them being run in tank. So long as they are fed power adequately through substantial gauge cable and proper connectors, and not allowed to inhale shrapnel, they are probably the most reliable high flow, high pressure pump in the world.

Very pretty, but please add a support "P" clip for the hard line, to stop it vibrating and work hardening.

I've not owned the car for over a year now :(

I never took it on track so can't vouch for it's effectiveness, just posted it in response to the OPs request for pictures Of setups :)